Friday, April 27, 2012

Homewreckers

A few weeks ago, Joel and I (but mostly Joel) did something a little crazy.  We knocked big, fat holes in the soffit above our kitchen cabinets.  




We wanted to see what was up there, because we were thinking of replacing the cabinets.  Would we be able to extend them to the ceiling?  Have a space above them?  Or would we have to patch up the soffit and continue to live with it?



Well, minus one small pipe, we were in the clear.




So we (Joel) continued the demo.



My kitchen was a disaster zone.  Insulation from the attic fell onto our heads.  Gaping holes greeted me each morning and stared at me each night.  We couldn't leave food on the counter or it might be frosted with fluffy insulation as well.  

Now, our kitchen is better.  We hired a man to patch everything back up, minus the soffit.  Where we had confining walls, now we have one smoothly-flowing room.  It is exciting.  Do I have pictures of this transformation?  No.  

But never fear, we are installing cabinets this weekend!  Then, the countertops, and then, my undermounted sink.  I will be sure to post some pictures after all of that happens.




We also decided to replace flooring.  The bare wood stairs you see were covered with that green-blue carpet.



So were these.

And now they're not!  Do I have a picture of this?  Yes, yes I do, but not on this computer.  I will try to post one later.  

Picture wood treads with white risers, and wood continuing on into the kitchen and dining area.  The living room will remain carpeted.  As soon as everything else is done, we will get some new carpet as well.  Any thoughts on the carpet that you have?  What do you like?  What works well with kids?

None of these renovations would have been possible without the hard work of my Dad.  He is the one who volunteered (volunteered!) to come out and lay flooring, a tedious and grueling job.  That dominoed into the kitchen cabinets, etc.  And I was happy to finally have an excuse to buy the compound miter saw I've wanted for a while.

He did a perfect job.  We are so grateful he would give up his time to do this job for us.  He was basically on his own, as Joel couldn't take any time off work and I was not very much help until we got to the large kitchen area.



He also bought my kids a treat from the ice cream truck.  Lucky kids!



Of course they chose the most neon-colored ice cream they could.  But they thought it was delicious.



Even better was the week they got to spend with their Grandpa Burton.  They were spoiled and loved, and so was I.

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

That is so EXCITING!! I am so excited for you. Post pictures soon. What an awesome dad you have.

Drae said...

Man, you are such a tease, elise. You can't just tell an HGTV addict and remodel wanna be that you renovated and then not show pictures. I love that stuff! You must post before and after pictures. I wish we were fixing up a house. So exciting for you guys. P.S. I miss you!

Anonymous said...

Another important and ubiquitous tool is usually a putty knife. When you are carrying out your kitchen remodeling, you’ll need one if you’re gonna replace kitchen countertops or maybe your kitchen floor.