Monday, July 9, 2012

Birthday for Ashley

Ashley recently turned FOUR!
She is still a little girl but I cannot believe how much she has grown.



This is one of Ashley's first days home from the hospital.  As soon as I saw her, I fell in love with her dark hair and rosebud lips, and her sweet baby temperament.



Here is Ashley one month later on the day we blessed her in our church.  It was a special day and lots of  special personal promises were made for her life.

Our family changed for the better with birth of this wonderful baby girl.  Her easy, contented temperament often brought a feeling of peace into our home.


Here is Ashley nowadays--hair ragged and fly-away from running around outside, a dress on her little body so she can watch it twirl, and lots of friendly animals by her side.

Ashley still loves stuffed animals and even though she detests baby dolls, she is a great big sister and loves her baby brothers dearly.  Ashley shuts down emotionally if there is conflict in the house, but is otherwise vibrant, energetic, giggly, sunshine-y, intelligent, proud of her strong and fast muscles, curious, a great builder and story-imaginer, and all the things a wonderful four-year-old girl ought to be.

I count my Ashley blessings every day.  I am overwhelmed with love and gratitude for this special little person.  Her full-armed, throw-herself-right-at-you hugs replenish my soul.


Ashley woke up on her birthday morning with balloons filling her bed.  It was a magical moment I should have captured on film.


Ashley also excitedly participated in her annual birthday lunch with Papa.  She loves eating out at any restaurant, but chose Wendy's.  The lure of the chocolate frosty eclipsed her other options.


The most special birthday treat, and the one Ashley looked forward to the most, was a visit from her Grandpa Burton.  He visited last year on her birthday as well.  I think Ashley is beginning to think having him around to spoil her on her birthday is a new tradition!  Unfortunately, I did not get a picture of Ashley and Grandpa Burton together.

As always, Everett was almost more excited for Ashley to open her presents than she was!  Everett decided he wanted to make her a snow globe after viewing an instructional youtube clip, so he and I scrambled to get it done before Ashley's big day.  We put a purple flying unicorn inside, with silver and purple glitter swirling in the magical waters around it.  Ashley slept with it that night and Everett was very proud to have made something special for her.  Unfortunately I did not get a good picture of this, either (again, a mom fail).



Never one to disappoint, Grandpa presented Ashley with a magnifying glass/bug catcher and a bouquet of lollipops.  Little did Ashley know that there were more presents waiting for her back in Utah as soon as we arrived for our summer trip.



What you see is part of a poofy dress that I saw at Costco back in February.  Joel took one look at it after I brought it home and said, "that thing is hideous!"  I was inclined to agree with him but I knew Ashley would love the poofy skirt and glittery screen-printed ballerinas. 



Joel and I splurged and got her a My Little Pony set.  Ashley has seen every episode multiple times.  She can name even the most obscure characters.  It is a testament to her absorption in the show that little William can also name all the main characters.  "That's Pinky Pie, Mommy," or "push me up high, like Rainbow Dash!" he clarifies for me.



Everett and Ashley were both excited for the cake.  Everett was so excited, in fact, that he rushed in and blew out all the candles before anyone could react.  He was so embarrassed about this mistake he obviously made without thinking that he rushed up to his room and had to be coaxed back out.



So I lit the candles again so I could get a least one picture with the birthday cake in all its glory, but Ashley was too quick for me as well.

Ashley didn't care what kind of cake she had; all she wanted was one with three layers.  I made chocolate with whipped cream for frosting and real cherries on top.  It would have tasted better if I had 1) made it from scratch and 2) not overcooked it.  However, we left for Utah the next morning and I wasn't took keen on worrying about the leftovers anyway.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our fantastic ASHLEY MARGARET JOHNSON!

1 comments:

Rebekah said...

She is such a sweety. Happy Birthday!