(I debated about posting this story, but it will be awful if I forget about it. If I don't post it here, I will never write it down. Read or skip--this one deals with private parts, though I don't name them directly so we don't show up on some strange person's google search.)
Everett is four-and-a-half and is very observant. I learned just how observant he really is as we were watching the movie Anastasia two nights ago.
We got to the part where Anastasia goes to Sophie's house with her comrades to prove that she is the lost princess.
Sophie bounced and giggled about in a too-small purple dress. Everett's eyes widened.
"MOM," he said, grabbing my arm with great urgency, "Look at that lady! Those things are SO BIG." Everett poked my bra to show me what he was talking about.
I couldn't help it. I busted up laughing at his innocent wide-eyed wonderment.
I asked him to tell me again what he said in case I somehow got it wrong.
"Those things that that Lady has are SO BIG." Everett paused. "No, look Mom! Right there! Look!" He was truly, deeply amazed.
So I took a few minutes to explain about private parts and how to talk about them and when and why we need to be respectful. He gets it--the light bulb turned on. "Just like [boys parts]!" he said. We've had the boy parts talk many times. I don't like using euphemisms so we say the names of things straight out and respectfully. I have explained before about some female anatomy terms (hello, he's seen me breastfeed two babies) but he must have forgotten.
Later when I was telling Joel this story, I shook my head and commented, "typical male."
"What?!" Joel retorted, "I can't help it if the boy is observant!"
So, we'll just stick with calling it observant for now.

0 comments:
Post a Comment