We had a nice, relaxing Mother's Day.
Despite the fact that I woke in the early morning hours sure I was going to throw up, and spent the rest of the day fighting the idea that my head was going to explode, it was truly a lovely day.
The only downside to feeling less-than-well was that I couldn't fully enjoy the delicious breakfast in bed my brood delivered to me--two raspberry toaster strudels, a glass of orange juice, and a beautiful vase of flowers. The food was incidental compared to the smiling children to brought it to me.
Everett and Ashley sang in Sacrament Meeting with all the other Primary children. It was the first year they both were involved in this annual Mother's Day tradition, and it was the first time I have ever seen them sing loudly and proudly.
Everett entered our pew with a proud look on his face. "Did you love it, Mommy? he asked. "Did I sing loud?" Ashley grinned and leaned in for a tight squeeze.
I assured them that it was perfect and I spent the remainder of the meeting trying to arrange three children who all wanted to sit on my lap. Fortunately James was content to be with his father.
We took some snapshots when we got home from church. They pretty much sum up how things go around here, except there aren't enough where I am unshowered, angry, tired, or impatient!
(two thumb-suckers, oh yeah. we'd better start saving for braces right now.)
After lunch I sat down on the couch and woke up two hours later. It was a perfect nap, and a great way to celebrate the day.
I grilled up some dinner and we enjoyed some time outside and pie with our neighbor friends.
I spent the day feeling grateful beyond measure for my family. I have a wonderful mother who continues to teach me how to be better through her example, and I am blessed to have gained a wonderful mother-in-law when I married Joel. I felt an affinity for her right away and I am glad they welcomed me into their family.
I also spent the day in gratitude to the many women in my life who have taught me to be a better person and who have helped my children--Visiting Teachers, friends, school teachers, cousins, church leaders.
The day was just how I like it. It was simple and filled with the people I love.
2 comments:
they're so big now!! wow. happy mother's day elise!
What a good looking group. Elise you are beautiful! Loved those pictures. Your kids look so proud of you. I love the primary kids singing and think it is a wonderful tradition too.
Post a Comment