(disclaimer: if you don't want to read anything cheesy this morning, skip this one.)
Joel and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary on December 30th, and I found myself thinking about it while I was doing the dishes last night (side note: the traditional gift for a fifth anniversary is made of wood, and we just bought a house, so I thought that was fitting). When I opened the refrigerator door and discovered that I was about to place a freshly-dried pot lid in there, I figured maybe I ought to write down what I was thinking.
Or maybe I should learn to multi-task. Either way, here goes.
When people ask about our engagement story, I often tell them that Joel and I married each other mostly on faith. Sure, we shared a whole lot of love, but we had only known each other for three whole months when we formalized our commitment. Three months is not a long enough time for us to really know each other well enough to commit to eternity, but it was long enough for Heavenly Father to tell us it was right. That, and the love and respect we had for each other, was enough.
I was one of those teenagers who (narcissistically, I'm sure) had about two million things on her very long list of things I want in the man I marry. I tried to give myself and my faults due attention, but I haven't gotten very far. Joel, on the other hand, had to do this one time as a young man and wrote down five things. I can only remember two: first, that his wife cooks because he hates that chore, and second, that she doesn't have overly hairy arms.
Well, let's just say I was thrilled with who I ended up with. Joel has so many more qualities than I ever dreamed of. He is, quite literally, my perfect match. I used to care too much about what people thought of me and I felt the need to hear others approve my decisions. Now, having been married to Joel for a few years, I don't experience either of those things anymore. He has my back and I know it, because he never lets me forget it, and this has given me more confidence than I have ever had.
I don't think either of us has looked back since the day we got married. Well, after these three kids, I don't really think we have had time to look back.
I'm just grateful that Joel is happy to be here with the kids and me. This is a man who has cleaned up my morning sickness-induced vomit, watched me give birth three times, has heard me burp and pass gas, kisses me even when my morning breath stinks, and knows all my faults better than I do but doesn't complain about them.
And he still tells me he likes sticking around. Thinking of spending Eternity with him makes me feel twitterpated.
Joel has a bunch of really tall friends, and they laughed when they looked at our wedding announcement because they said I'm so short that I make Joel look taller than he is.
It's always fun to see "before and after" photos. Think we've changed? Well, four states and three kids later, I sure feel like a different person!


5 comments:
Cute! Happy Anniversary!
You guys do look pretty much the same. Joel looks a little plumper and you look taller Elise. Does that mean Joel is shrinking?
I was thinking the same thing. Elise you might have grown and so has Joel, but you Elise do look taller next to Joel, because your head looks like it comes to a higher point now when you are next to Joel. Joel doesn't look taller, but he has grown in a horizonal direction.
Dad.
Congratulations! You both look great and happy.
Hope that Everett is able to get everything taken care of and can get some good rest!
Miss you and hope all is well.
You look even prettier than you did 5 years ago Elise!! And you guys look happier than ever! Loved the cheesiness of this post. It's always good to share how lucky we are with the men we have! Happy Late Anniversary!
Post a Comment