Saturday, December 10, 2011

Squeezy


It has been a relaxing first week with the new baby!  I do happen to have a sinus infection, which is not great timing, but it has given us an excuse to sit around and watch movies all day together.  Sometimes I think we need a break from our regular schedule and this has been it.  I don't think I've brushed Ashley's hair all week, I haven't cooked dinner thanks to some wonderful church members and neighbors, and my ratty sweats have become my best friend.

In essence, it has been a great few days!  The kids have really made friends with their new brother.  






When I first came home from the hospital, William would barely even look at me.  This Mama's boy would only go to Joel.  I don't know if William was angry that I had been gone for two days or that I brought a new baby home with me, but he didn't want much to do with me at first.  If I tried to initiate some contact, he would say "Baby" and walk away.

So Baby James spent most of his first day or two home in the baby swing, at least until the kids went to bed at night.  This way I could focus lots of attention on the ones who really needed it.  I hoped this would help William re-adjust.  

Do you think it has?



Yep.  He is a pretty happy guy now and has gotten over his first bout of resentment.  William loves to bring me James's pacifiers, which I don't particularly love him doing but I know the sweet little guy just tries to help.



Everett thinks Baby James is his special buddy.  He is right.  But Everett also thinks that he gets priority when anyone else wants to hold him.

So Ashley holds her own baby, the well-loved kitty.





She gets frustrated with Everett's possessiveness but she doesn't mind too much.  Like many little girls, she does have a special bond with her favorite stuffed animal.  Ashley bought it at Walmart with some Christmas money about a year ago.  We recently noticed that these cats are still available for purchase.  It was pretty funny to compare the new, soft, un-used plush animals to the ratty, stained old thing Ashley still carries around.  But she loves it just the same.




And James?  He is doing great!  He is opening his eyes more and more, which is a real treat and melts me up inside every time.  There is something special about watching a days-old baby seeing the fuzzy world for the first time.

We're all in love with this sweet baby!

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

He is so cute, and I still can't get over how big he is. I am glad the kids are all adjusting well.

LeAnn said...

What a sweet family you have Elise! Those pictures are so precious. I can tell how careful Everett and Ashley are with the new baby and so happy William has got over his bout of resentment. That is so funny he only wanted Joel. And I must say you continue to amaze me. With a new baby days old you are still taking care of your family, taking beautiful pictures and keeping up your blog! You are great. Keep it up because we love to see what's happening with you guys! :)

Jessica Brown said...

Congratulations Elise! What a cutie! Look at all that hair. I can't believe you have 4 kids. Way to go. I really look up to you.