A sweet friend of ours gave James this darling Santa outfit. He spent quite a bit of time in it during the holiday season, and he looked adorable all the time.
I don't think Santa normally has this expression on his face, but then again, I don't think his mother makes him lay on the floor for a photo shoot when what he really wants to do is eat.
We had a fancy dinner on Christmas Eve, thanks to Joel's work which gifted us a voucher to Hy-vee's meat department.
Then, while some wassail was brewing, we read the Christmas story and acted it out. With a brand new baby in our house, the story was even sweeter than normal.
William The Shepherd took it upon himself to help Joseph lead the donkey into Bethlehem.
Our realistic-looking stable.
The kids enjoyed acting out the story of Jesus' birth. I enjoyed reading it again. James did not particularly enjoy being in that basket, but as the baby of the family he does not really have a say.
After the Nativity, it was time for presents! We always give a new pair of pajamas on Christmas Eve. This is a tradition Joel and I share from childhood. I always looked forward to this--that one gift was often enough to hold me over until the next morning.
The new pajamas and slippers. I made Ashley's (she has always wanted a nightgown so I made it as long and billowy as possible), bought Everett's, and William's were found by Grandma.
Between these and new pajamas from Grandma Johnson, the kids did not wear regular clothes for a week after Christmas.
After pajamas, we enjoyed wassail and Christmas trifle, and then we sent the kids off to bed. Ashley was thrilled to finally be able to share Everett's bunk bed. They were asleep by 8:00 and got up around 7:00 the next morning, and of course they slept much better than Joel and I did. Between James and being antsy about the presents, neither of us got much sleep!
This truly was a special Christmas. We baked a little, we spent time together, and thanks to the internet, we did not have to worry about rushing around any stores.
Our new baby James reminded me continually of the infant Jesus, and I am grateful for that gift. Christmas makes me want to put just as much effort into remembering the Savior for the rest of the year.
Thanks to all of you for making our Christmas more meaningful.




1 comments:
Cute little Santa! It will be fun watching James grow and see who he looks like.
Okay, I really want to just squeeze William. He looks like such a squeezable kid! That probably sounds weird. .. haha.
Post a Comment