Monday, September 10, 2012

Biking Around

We are very lucky.  There are a few really scenic, peaceful places to ride bikes (or run, if you are more ambitious than I) near us in our small city.

Since Ashley has really taken to Everett's old balance bike and is surprisingly fast, I told her we could go on a bike ride together. 


Ashley was very excited.


Can you tell?



The gently curving roads are quiet and secluded.  I was amazed at how well Ashley maintained her pace on this little bike, even up hills.  I am totally sold on the concept of these pedal-less balance bikes--Everett rode this one for almost two years before we started him on a real bike with no training wheels, and because he already had the balance part down, he rode successfully during our very first try this summer.  When the kids get good enough on this bike, they work up their speed and then raise their feet and just. . .glide for ages.  It looks really fun.



Ashley took a few pictures, including this one of me.  I am usually the one behind the camera.  I don't know what I'm going to do now that my kids are old enough to catch me with the lens.



Ashley especially enjoyed riding across the bridges.  I don't blame her--they are pretty fun!



And they are pretty scenic.



I miss the Rocky Mountains, but you sure can't beat that view for tranquility.



Of course we had to stop to pick some wildflowers.  The pathway we decided to ride on was surprisingly flower-full for this time of year.  Some of the trees have already begun to drop their leaves, and, like many areas of the U.S., we've had a very hot, very dry summer.  Many of the plants and flowers dried up long ago.


And yet, there were still some to be found here.  Just imagine what this area looks like during the springtime abundance.


I am always glad to spend time with my kids one-on-one.  It seems that when I do, parts of their personality sparkle in ways I don't usually notice.  Ashley is so vibrant and fun, and strong and determined.  Next time she gets whiny and dramatic I will make sure to remember this day.

0 comments: