Monday, September 3, 2012

Ladies' Day

Everett's first day of school was a big day in our house.  It was the first day I had a child attend an actual school.  And it was the first day Ashley was the oldest child at home. 

As much as I missed Everett, I was really looking forward to the special times Ashley and I could have together while her brothers were napping.  And we have had a lot of good times already, the best of which was probably the first day Everett was gone from us.

I knew I would be watching the clock all day long, so I made sure Ashley and I had a lot of fun things to do.  We made a cake for an evening baby shower, and then we made a rice krispie cake.  I taught her how to make frosting flowers and she went to town on her very own little rice krispie rectangle.  I put her little brothers down for an early nap and announced that it was time for our ladies' tea party.  In a family with only brothers, Ashley does not have many opportunities to do frilly activities. (Truthfully, she doesn't mind.  Most of the time she chooses the same activities her brothers enjoy.)  Ashley giggled at my announcement, her excitement blossoming when I asked her to follow me upstairs so we could get all dressed up.

We put on our fanciest skirts.  I got out all of my best necklaces (which actually was not a lot) and we piled them on like wealthy old dowagers.  Then we put on make-up.  Ashley was thrilled to be able to wear purple eye shadow, pink lipstick, and even a little mascara.

 

We used some of Everett's fancy little lunch fruit cups, and then cut out honey sandwich flowers and hearts.  These are the ultimate tea party sandwich.

Ashley gathered a few guests:  Mr. Daisy, Mr. Daisy, Mrs. Bolt, and Mrs. Bolt.


We made some lemonade and Ashley practiced her arched pinkie.



She did her best to act very demure as we referred to each other as "Lady Ashley" and "Lady Mommy".



Ultimately, though, her hoity-toity voice would soften into a cloud of giggles.



She declared, "This is the bestest, bestest, bestest, bestest day, EVER!"  and announced that we should do this every day for "ages and ages."



And then we ate, 



And played, and laughed, 



And had a wonderful time, just the two of us girls.

(And I didn't look at the clock at all. . .I mean, too often, anyway.)

3 comments:

Anika said...

love this:)

LeAnn said...

How fun is that? I love it also.

Unknown said...

sooooo awesome! (and loved that you used the word "dowagers"!)