Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Walking, walking

The weather here in Iowa has been GREAT.  It is perfect for walking home from school, which is what I have tried to do with the kids as often as possible before winter hits and we are all cooped up together.  I love walking home from school with Everett and his friends from our street.  I get to hear tidbits about their day, see them race each other, and we all get to enjoy the warm sunlight on our faces.



We cross a nice little field as we near our houses.  It is my favorite part of the walk.




Ashley and her friend love to pick some of the little flowers.




Ashley really hates walking, so one day I told her she could ride the balance bike.  She loved it, and has ridden it with us ever since.  Fortunately she is very good about staying close to me, because she can really work up to a good speed on that thing!




Sometimes the kids hug each other goodbye when we drop our friends off at their house.  




Even the boys.  And, although I didn't get this in a picture, Everett and his friend are not too old to be embarrassed about occasionally holding hands as they walk home.




William and James are troopers, and I don't usually hear a peep out of either of them, except when William excitedly points out an animal, car, bus, or motorcycle along the way.  James is content to suck his thumb and watch our surroundings.


Someday soon Everett will be old enough to make the ten-minute walk on his own, and I will be a little sad.  I never expected to enjoy our daily walk as much as I do, so maybe I will keep meeting the kids at school until they are too embarrassed to be seen with me!

0 comments: