Joel recently played tennis with a tennis enthusiast who lives downstairs. He came home and told me that this friend is going to get a tennis racket for him, to the tune of 110 dollars. I just smiled. There is one thing Joel will splurge on, and that is sports. He doesn't do it often, so when he does, I just let him run with it.
Late last night as Joel was standing at the sink, I said thoughtfully and teasingly, "Let's see now. . .what do I want to buy that costs 100 dollars?"
Joel immediately started laughing and remarked, "I was waiting for this to come up!"
I grinned, then told him I just might go buy an expensive pair of shoes. I also told him that if he tried to tell me I already have a pair of shoes, I'd just point out that he already has a tennis racket.
"Yeah, but when you find a pair of shoes that improves your walking ability, then you can start talking," he countered, emphasising the fact that this new racket is superior to his old one in all respects.
"But what if the shoes make me look better? What is the price you're willing to pay for a more attractive wife?"
Joel, seeing no way alive out of that one, decided to change the subject.
"What about all your haircuts? If we add up those expenses, I bet it will total more than my racket."
"That," I said, "Is like an oil change. It is basic maintenance. It simply doesn't count. Besides, it's not like I'm buying new hair. I'm improving the stuff that I already have."
Joel started to object, so I tried a different strategy. "What if you give me a quarter for every time I have made our bed? That will add up fast, and I'm sure I'd end up with way more than 100 dollars."
He laughed. "But Elise, that's totally different." I tried to interject, but Joel kept talking. "You see, I don't care if the bed is made."
Our conversation ended with me happily joking that this is going to be great ammunition when I do, in fact, find something expensive I want to buy. Joel started to look a little worried, but quickly masked it with an air of indifference.
So, my question is this: Say I'm giving you each 100 dollars to spend on something "fun" (I'm not. Don't get your hopes up.) What is the first thing that comes to your mind as something to spend it on? What is the most practical thing? After thinking about it, did you change your mind or is your first impulse what you really want?
Pucker Up
4 days ago
8 comments:
FOOD!!!! It is practical. If I did not have to worry about money, it would go towards a trip probably, but realistically, food it my choice this time. So sad. I guess the sad part is $100 would not be a lot in Switzerland. It cost more than that to go out to eat here, so you know, supermarket food.
By the way, I love Joel's logic about the bed. It totally made me laugh. Somehow because he doesn't care does not mean it cannot be done. It is a fact that some people like beds made and your room looks more attractive with a bed made. But his argument or reasoning cracked me up.
I'd spend it on clothes... Ones that didn't make me feel like I'm carrying an extra, soon-to-be person. The practical thing would probably be groceries, but I would be doing that anyway, so definitely clothes!! Hmmmm.... or maybe a pedicure, manicure and wax. (It would have to be at a school though, or else I wouldn't be able to pay for all of them with $100) Great question. I love the conversations you have with Joel. You guys are definitely great for each other. :)
HA! I always enjoy the posts that you write about the conversations you have together. I would either spent it on someone to clean my floors (cause I am cleaning them like 3X a day) or I would . . . I can't seem to think of anything else. how boring.
Elise, I would get a new basketball. I would buy it from the church sports people so I would get a great deal and still have about $75. No tax for the ball. I would then buy me a very good water filter for hiking and also emergencies and I think I would have enough left over to buy Marshal Garner a new lantern for camping because his wife ruined his. Actually, I like a made up bed because when you get in it at night it just seems a little fresher and more comfortable. Does Joel cut his own hair still?
love, Dad.
Sounds like a conversation we'd have in our home. And the hair one is a staple during these. My first instinct is to buy a sewing machine (although clothes would be nice too). Then when I think practical, I think sewing machine. So, a sewing machine it is! (Even though I'm really not a sewer...yet!)
I would get new sheets and maybe a dust ruffle to go with the new bedroom set. We are using blue ones that will move with the old bed into Mykell's room. MSJ
Well, if you do need a good argument for shoes, I can personally tell Joel how much the right shoes--cross training, running, walking, soccer--whatever sport you're into--really do make a difference. I was having the hardest time running, then I spent $100 on a pair of shoes, and now, I love running & literally the first day I ran with those shoes I stopped having pain. But If I were pregnant, I would say I need new clothes! Or maybe a nice day at a spa to relax!;)
Post a Comment