Everett is getting good enough at repeating things now that we have started to help him say prayers. He is still pretty reluctant to do it, I think because it is so hard for him, but tonight he got through an entire prayer with Joel. We had a family home evening lesson on prayers, and we discussed the basic prayer format. When explained the part of the prayer where we ask for things we need, Everett's eyes got big as he considered the many possibilities.
After a slight pause, he only had one request. "A choo-choo train!" he exclaimed. I explained that if he was scared, he could pray and ask Heavenly Father to help him not feel scared anymore. After reassuring him that this would indeed work, I noticed that Everett seemed to like his idea much better than mine. Oh well. That is my job, right? To squelch his dreams and ambitions?
When it came time to actually say the prayer, Everett and Ashley excitedly got down on their knees and folded their arms. Ashley loves to come over and kneel down, and usually sits still through the entire prayer, but we operate under a pray-in-20-seconds-or-less policy around here to make it easier. Everett has gotten good at keeping his arms folded and his eyes closed, because if he doesn't, Joel calls him out on it during the prayer.
"Please bless that Everett will keep his arms folded and his eyes closed," Joel says. Everett immediately snaps back into position every time. I told Joel one time that he would have to stop doing this when the kids get older, because it will take too long. He just pointed out that the kids would learn pretty quickly that if they weren't reverent during the prayer, it would last For-e-ver.
After our mini-lesson on the pattern of prayer, we asked Everett to say a prayer with Joel. He was reluctant and not very interested, but then I told Everett that if he prayed with Joel, he could have some chocolate chips.
Yes, that's right, I'm not above bribery. Worked like a charm. Everett said (repeated) his first prayer. When Joel prompted him to give thanks for me (Mama), Everett added Ashley without hesitation. Poor Joel got left out, but maybe he'll make it in there next time.
In all, a successful Family Home Evening, which pretty much means we've hit the jackpot. Our lessons are not always well-received, but I have expanded my definition of "success" to be a little more realistic. Or just to make myself feel better, which ever it is!
Pucker Up
4 days ago
4 comments:
Folding arms and closing eyes isn't really demanded in our household or we would never start a prayer. Ashley comes and kneels by you? Lauren is 2 and 1/2 and has never knelt. She usually likes to be held while we pray. I am going to enact the arms folded thing. You have inspired me to do better.
HA! What a cutie!
I love that Joel calls them out. We should start doing that with Shelby, that girl never closes her eyes. Oakley loves to pray. The first thing she says is thank you for my blanket.
Just curious, how do you know their eyes are not closed? Maybe they are watching you to make sure you close your eyes.
Love, Dad
Post a Comment