William turned one on March 20th. We had a really low-key day. After we went to Church in the morning, everyone got a nap. While William was still sleeping, the kids and I blew up a bunch of balloons so he could crawl around our living room and be amazed. Everett and Ashley giggled and plotted and loved the secrecy of it all.
I didn't get very many smiles on camera, but William loved the balloons.
William has been really into balls lately because he is intrigued by the cause and effect of throwing things. The balloons, while too big to throw, were perfect for crawling through.
Everett and Ashley were excited that this was a surprise they helped plan for William, but they loved playing in the balloons as well.
38 balloons. That is how many I inflated. I know the exact number because there was a dud in each bag.
Fun with balloons almost never ends. When one game gets tiresome, someone can always think of one to take its place.
If you are one year old, you especially like the squeaky sounds your slobbery teeth make. (No balloons were harmed in the producing of this image.)
Curiosity is magnified by 38 colorful balloons. We had hours of fun.
And of course floor play isn't complete without a little roughhousing.
When it's your birthday, everyone allows you to be king of the mountain for slightly longer than usual.
And the birthday boy was thrilled.
After balloons, it was time for some simple presents and a candle-lit cupcake. Imagine the pictures I neglected to take:
First present: A green sippy cup!
Second present: A trio of racquetballs!
Third present: A large bright green ball!
The racquetballs have been a big hit. All the kids love them for their handy size and bouncing capabilities.
We made cupcakes without frosting, because I don't particularly like frosting and the kids were just happy to have something called cake. A number one candle was lit and extinguished courtesy of dear Ashley, and everyone dug in. William enjoyed his first taste of cake and the kids enjoyed that I let them eat two. What a day! I really admire the moms who go all out when their kids turn one, but it would feel a little like a wasted effort to me. I am just selfish enough that I want the star of the day to appreciate what I've done.
Even though we didn't have a fancy party, the kids enjoyed the day and we all enjoyed our time together.
0 comments:
Post a Comment