Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Thoughts From a Couple of Preschoolers


For whatever reason, Ashley is very proud of her long hair.  I have never discussed it with her.  I have never mentioned my long hair, let alone what length I prefer.  Somewhere during these last few months, Ashley got it stuck in her head that long hair is the best, and long hair is definitely for girls.

Two weeks ago as we were driving in the car, Ashley piped up from the back seat.  "We need a girl baby!" she announced.
"Why do you want a girl baby in this family?" I asked.  Ashley had captured my full attention with those five words, and I had to find out her reasoning.
"Because then my sister will have long hair just like me!"
I explained to Ashley that it takes babies a long time to grow long hair.
"Some babies aren't even born with any hair at all!"  I said.
With that, Everett and Ashley cracked up.  A bald baby was a fantastic joke.  However, I happen to think baldness gives babies a very special level of cuteness.


"Mommy, you are my best friend," Ashley informed me sweetly as she snuggled up with me yesterday.
"Why am I your best friend?" I asked.
"Because you have long hair just like me!"  Ashley's grin accentuated her dimple.
"What if I cut my hair short?  Then would I still be your best friend?"  I had to find out.
"No.  Uh-uh."
"Well, who would be your best friend?"
"Papa."

After I reminded Ashley that her Papa does in fact have very short hair, she looked a little worried.  With two brothers and a clean-cut father in this house, Ashley's long-haired friend prospects end with me.


Yesterday morning, the kids had some friends over to play.  First to arrive was a fun boy.  Ashley was thrilled to finally see a couple of girls coming up the walk.
"Look!" She exclaimed, jumping with excitement in front of our living room window, "There's some girl ones, just for me!!!"


I make it a habit to keep the radio off when I'm driving with the kids.  If there is no background noise, they are more likely to point out a landmark, ask me questions, or sing songs--and I'd hate to miss any of the silly things they say to each other.  Today I was extra glad for the silent radio.

While we were on our way home from preschool today, Everett sighed and asked, "Why is it still raining?"  Poor guy.  His favorite thing to do is play around outside (and break the rules by turning the hose on), and today was a dreary, windy, rainy, cold sort of day that chills you to your goosebumps and makes you hate those April Showers.
"Well, those clouds just have a lot of rain in them, I guess," I replied, un-helpfully.
"Why?" Everett predictably asked.
"Why don't you think about it and tell me how you think those clouds got so much rain in them?"
Everett mulled it over for a minute.
"I think," he announced, "the clouds get the water from a stream."
I was impressed.  We've never discussed the water cycle.
"How do they get it from the stream?"  I had to find out more about his conclusion.
"Well. . ." Everett paused.  "The clouds are kind of too high to reach the stream."  Then he perked up.  "I think on those days it is bright and sunny, and you don't see the clouds, they are gone looking for water!" Everett sat back in his seat, pleased with himself.

I laughed and congratulated him on his conclusion.  Conversations with my kids are much better when I ask them what they think instead of telling them what I know!

1 comments:

LeAnn said...

You are such a good mother Elise! I love that you don't turn the radio on so you can hear your kids sweet conversations. Fun to write these things down! Keep it up!