During our "real heroes" week at school, the kids and I also talked about firefighters. Ashley especially enjoyed this one and announced several times that she wants to be a firefighter when she grows up. Maybe she will!
We read some books (of course, because I can't not read books) about firefighters and fire stations and fire trucks.
Then we had a relay race. It was really fun! It began with one child laying on the couch, pretending to be a sleeping firefighter. The other two people suddenly made an alarm sound and the firefighter bolted over to her firefighter gear, threw it on, and jumped in the fire truck (huggies box).
(The fire trucks where we live are actually blue and white, but who's counting?)
Then we all ran upstairs to a burning house, which was actually our dining room table. But the real tragedy was that stuffed animals were trapped inside and needed to be rescued! Firefighters enter and exit burning buildings safely, and the only safe route was under a row of chairs.
Upon rescue, the animals needed to "stop, drop, and roll."
Whew! The rescue is complete and no one is on fire. Success!
After our speedy activity was all played out, we practiced our stops, drops, and rolls. I had never talked about this with my kids before. I asked them what they would do if their clothes caught on fire and they replied, "I would call the fire fighters!"
Well, not quite. So we practiced. I put felt scraps (representing fire) all over their clothes and had them roll on the carpet until they were all off. This could have worked great, but the felt didn't stick as well as the internet said it would because Everett and Ashley were wearing regular cotton tops. But I do think they got the point and hopefully if they ever need to remember this tactic, they will.
We also practiced putting out fires, because what's the fun of being a firefighter for a day if you can't spray any water?
Chalk flames on our shed door and spray bottles made for a pretty fun activity.
We all had a good time. Poor William gets a little left out but he mostly has fun watching from my lap.


1 comments:
Oh my goodness Elise...So FUN! I would enroll my children in your pre-school! :) great ideas and way to go making it happen and work. Can't wait for this new little Johnson to make his debut! Cute Halloween pictures too.
Post a Comment