It only took a couple of weeks before the librarian knew exactly who I was and memorized the kids' names. "He is getting so big!" they'd say about William each time we returned from an extended absence.
The small regional grocery store a few blocks from my house is a fun place for Everett and Ashley to go because they get to use child-size shopping carts. One of the managers, who is a nice grandfatherly man and works as a cashier much of the time, has come to recognize my children. "There's my special crew!" he will say when we come through his line. Then with a wink, he gives each child two pieces of candy and makes small talk with me. Everett and Ashley know the drill--they hand him the items in their carts and return the carts while I handle the bulk of our groceries. Then they sit on a bench situated a few feet from the register and savor their candy until I am finished.
The YMCA is another place the kids are recognized. After we moved here last summer, I took the kids a few times a week to the YPlay center while I worked out. We haven't been back in about six months, but the employees there still know all of our names and keep asking me when we are coming back (occasionally I drop William by when Everett and Ashley are in their gymnastics class).
And, our doctor's office is the first one I've been to where the receptionist recognizes me, knows my name, and knows my kids' names and ages before I even say anything to her. This has taken a lot of getting used to. I don't know if I've ever even taken the kids to a pediatrician who I felt remembered us from the last visit. So I have to restrain myself from introducing myself each time I schedule an appointment or meet with our doctor.
In August, Joel and Everett rode their bikes over to the high school for some football activities. A journalist stopped them en route for a photograph and their names. Guess what? They made it into the paper!
AND, not only did they make it into the paper, they made it on the front page!
Yes, this is another effect of living in a small city. Circulation for this paper can't reach more than 20,000 but Everett was thrilled anyway.
Of course, because this is a small newspaper, the typesetting might be a little funny. Take note of the major headline for the day and the placement of Joel and Everett's picture:
Hah. We had a good laugh about that one. Several people at church the next day asked us if Joel had cleared those charges yet.
This is a great place for the kids to grow up, but I have had to up the ante on our "Stranger Danger" conversations. I don't think they can even comprehend that an adult may want to hurt a child because everywhere Everett and Ashley go, adults are supportive and kind and friendly to them. Honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way--this is a wonderful way to grow up. But I have to keep reminding them that they may only accept something from or do something with any adult if I am present and give permission. I hope they never have to remember this but I want them to be prepared if they do.
Our little city is not great for a night life, but for a small family like ours it is fantastic. We have everything we need, plus a little more. We have easy access to two larger cities. We are part of the Nauvoo Temple District. The best part? We have a great education system.
Come for a visit and we'll give you a grand tour. Don't worry--it won't take long to get through it all!


4 comments:
Yikes, what unfortunate placement! But that's awesome to be on the front page! Your little town sounds so perfect and idyllic!
I am laughing so hard!! That is pretty funny!
loved this post and the picture!
Oh gracious. That is funny!!
Post a Comment