Tuesday, November 8, 2011

New Beds

We decided to get Everett a bunk bed and move Ashley into his old bed.  We figured that in a couple of years we will have three kids who need regular-sized beds, so getting a bunk bed now makes more sense than getting another twin when we want a bunk bed eventually anyway.

Well, the kids are a fan of the new arrangement.  Everett sleeps on the top of his bunk bed (surprise, surprise).  He was so excited the first night he slept up there that he didn't even care if I tucked him in or not.  This was a big deal, people.  This is something I've been doing for him every night for almost five years now, and Everett is always insistent that I be the only one to perform this ritual.


Here is the boys' room with the bunk bed.  The new baby will sleep in here with Everett since he is our soundest sleeper by far and will need his room less often than anyone else.  Of course, if this arrangement doesn't work, we could always put all three kids in here and keep the baby by himself (or a number of different combinations).




Ashley and William now share this room.  No, William does not care if he sleeps on a purple pillow and uses a pink quilt, but he does care that the giant stuffed animal dog is in bed with him.  Usually we find him laying across the dog instead of on his pillow.  

William has adjusted pretty well to being in a toddler bed.  He has only been using it for a couple of days but he runs to it now when we tell him it is time for bed.  It does take him quite a while to get settled down at night, which means he keeps Ashley awake.  Since we don't have any toys in this room there is not much for him to get into, and I think in time he will just accept that this is time for sleep.

Ashley loves having a big bed.  You can't see it in the picture, but she chose purple sheets for her bed.  The quilt currently on her bed was a wedding present from my Grandma.  It looks pretty cute in there but I did promise Ashley that I would make her a bedspread similar in style to Everett's rocket ship one.  She wants a horse on it.  This sounds trickier than I can manage but we'll see.

We just repainted the trim and walls in this room.  It was pretty bad before.  The dark wood trim was in terrible shape and the walls were taupe on the top and bright blue on the bottom once we removed the hospital-grade wallpaper.  But there is only a chair rail along three sides of the room.  What do you think we should do with the plain wall?  Paint it somehow, like with a full-wall stencil?  Find some large artwork?  Leave it alone?  Install a new piece of molding to mach the existing chair rail?  If you have any ideas at all, I'd love to hear about them because I am fresh out!

2 comments:

Dallin and Janelle Lewis said...

Cute! Hmm, I think that I'd either continue the chair rail, or take the existing one off for continuity. I'm sure whatever you decide to do in there will look lovely, you're so tasteful. I love the boys' room.

Stephanie said...

I hate trying to be a fortune teller and guess what kind of beds we'll need and who will sleep best with who. It makes me feel crazy. I think I would just add a piece of chair rail to finish the room. It's a really cute color by the way.