Sunday, November 20, 2011

Scarlett O'Hara

Last March, I found a beautiful cotton curtain panel in a great shade of purple.  It only cost about a dollar and I knew right away that I wanted to use it to make a dress for Ashley.  I figured it could be her Easter dress.  Once in a while I really enjoy the challenge of making something out of nothing, so I used no pattern and just figured out how to implement my ideas.  It takes a long time so I only have it in me to do this once a year or so.  We'll see if I can manage it again next year.

Of course, true to form, I didn't finish it until August!  But slap a sweater on that thing and it works for winter as well.


Ashley wasn't very enthusiastic about pictures this morning, but I made her pose for me anyway.  She thought up this melancholy-faced pose all on her own.




Then I sent her closer to the window so she could watch squirrels play in our yard.  The natural light was much better.




I think Ashley likes the dress.  She calls it her purple princess dress.  I like the petticoat ruffle underneath the top skirt.




I had to post this picture as well, even though it doesn't show the dress.  I sure wish my skin looked as clear and dewy as this!  What a sweet little girl.

5 comments:

Chels said...

Elise,
What a beautiful dress. Ashley is growing so big. I'm very impressed with your sewing talent.

Emily S. said...

Seriously, so cute! Good job!

Devin, Naomi and Spencer said...

That dress is darling, I am really impressed especially the bodice, those ruffles are awesome. Enjoy your last few days before your little one gets here.

Naomi

Rebekah said...

You are a super star!!!! That turned out so cute!!

Stephanie said...

So I have made a couple of things for my girls and they don't wear them. For real I had to bribe Lauren with two toostie rolls to get her to wear the dress I made her to church.

Your dress looks 1000 times more complicated than mine. It is beautiful.