Friday, February 13, 2009

Because My Thoughts Aren't Always Organized

  • This weekend I am a mother of five. Well, I'm a caretaker of five. I'm watching my three youngest siblings while my parents are out of town. Since I'm just their sister I get all of the fun but none of the parenting responsibility. Plus, I have people who are excited to play with their nephew under the same roof as us again. That is always a treat.

  • I have discovered that I like being in charge of five kids, all of different ages and with different needs. I enjoy sending them out the door with freshly-packed lunches and asking them about their homework.

  • I know I can only say I am enjoying this because of the fact that I don't have to wake up and have all this responsibility every day. Get back to me in 15 years.

  • My sister has a lazy cat. He doesn't even want to go outside. He likes to lay on the arms of the couch. When he does, the fat around his middle takes over and it makes him look more like a furry, gelatinous, pudding-filled pillow with arms and legs and a tail hanging out than an actual animal.

  • I shouldn't say this about an animal who entertains Everett and captivates Ashley, but I still get a strange sort of pleasure from doing so.

  • I can never cook rice properly. I cooked rice last night and it was an overcooked, mushy mess. But I made everyone eat it anyway.

  • Everett woke up in the middle of the night two nights ago (our first night up at my parent's) and decided he had to have his bottle. This, after three days of no griping about it whatsoever. I even let him come sleep with me. It didn't work. He was very tired, so he got mad very quickly, bringing him to the point of no return as he began to go into hysterics. Ashley had just gotten back to sleep after a feeding, but woke up and started crying because, hello, some kid was screaming in her space. *Cue time-filling narrative music* Two hours later, I'm holding both upset children on the bed (because they refused anything else) and falling asleep as they are yelling in my ears. Moral of the story: Don't blame me if I'm deaf by the time I'm 30. Alternate moral of the story: I am sorry to those of you who were trying to sleep through that. But mostly I am jealous.

  • Most of the time I am glad my children have lungs that function well enough that they can yell and scream.

  • I like Indian food, especially curries. We had some last night, and it was pretty good.

  • I think it is terrible that Joel has to work tomorrow, aka Valentine's Day. Forget the fact that getting contrived romance out of him is tougher than milking a duck, it is the principle that counts, whether we had plans or not!

  • I always have to get waterproof mascara because my eyes run a lot. There was a new kind at the store today I wanted to get, but they didn't have the waterproof version of it yet so I couldn't. I picked a different kind I have never gotten before. Inevitably I will hate it and wish I had gotten my old standby: Maybelline full and soft.

  • I have this theory that all mascaras are the same; it is only the packaging that is different, and that the companies just spend a lot on marketing the same basic product. (yes, I know this probably isn't true, but I never get the really expensive stuff so I don't know from experience.)

  • When Everett was eight months old (as Ashley will be this month), I was already baby hungry. I'm not that way at all this time.

  • I wish I had a bike. I would love to start biking. I could see myself doing bike marathons more easily than I could see myself running them. And that is a tempting achievement. It is a goal of mine to do this some day.

  • I like to make goals that I have no possibility of completing in the near future. It makes the underachiever in me leap with energy.

  • I also like to subject anyone who reads this blog to my unimportant, even monotonous thoughts. But that is just the kind of considerate person I am.

  • You're welcome. :)

3 comments:

RebeckerOnline said...

Fun entry! I feel like I haven't read blogs in forever. I agree on the mascara. I have to get waterproof. I guess my eyes are shaped a certain way or something. And, it has to be the marketing because I haven't found anything extra special yet.

Oh, I use to ride my bike everywhere until I turned 28 and bought a car. I got rid of my bike 5 years ago and just bought a new one. Whew! It was so hard to ride! I totally got really sick the first day I rode it. Haaa. But, you've reminded me that it is time to get it out again.

Hope you are doing well.
r

Erika said...

I like hearing, or rather, reading your random thoughts. I always have random thoughts running through my head and I don't know what to do with them...

OH, and I love curries too. Actually, we had some last night too...and if you walked into our house right now, you'd still smell it (the only downside to making them!!!).

Natalie Sue said...

I like all of your thoughts! They are so fun to read. How I wish we lived close and could hang out!