Monday, January 4, 2010

Baby Namer

This post is not endorsed by Joel:

Everett is anxiously awaiting the arrival of our new little boy. He talks about him constantly and is always informing me of the baby's status. He likes to talk about the little diapers the baby will wear, the bouncer the baby will sleep in, and how the baby will drink milk.

Lately, he has been asking me if he can hold the baby. Tonight he even made room for the baby in his bed.

"William sleep with me?" he asked hopefully.

I explained to him that the baby is still inside my stomach and can't come out until March, when the doctor will help. "But," I said, "When William comes out of my stomach, I am sure he will love to lay on your tummy and listen to your heart beat."

"Yeah, Mommy, yeah," Everett said, smiling to himself. "William sleep right there," pointing to a spot on his bed in between his brown teddy bear and his left side. Everett laid back down contentedly.


Two months is a long time for a three-year-old to wait. While we are mostly ready for the baby, I hope his arrival does not happen before he is done developing. I do not anticipate any problems, but the worry side of me does tend to want to make the mental preparations for a catastrophe.

And, we have settled on a name. We will name the baby William Warren Johnson, after my Grandfather Warren Burton and my great-grandfather William Chugg. William is a nice, normal name and it is one Joel has finally come around to; I enlisted Everett's help in calling the baby William and it did the trick quite nicely.

I realize there are a few nicknames out there I do not like (Bill and Willy, for two) but I also realize that I have little to no control over what other people call my children. I like William, and I like Will, and those are the names we will use. If anyone else wants to use another nickname, that is their perogative, and it will not bother me at all.

With that, I'm finally putting up a baby widget, since I can never keep track of how far along I am.

5 comments:

R said...

so you'll let us all call him one eye willey?? lol

R said...

know that I'm joking because it drives me crazy that my mother in law calls Kaitlyn Katie bug! It's like nails going down a chalkboard for me.

Tori said...

I really like that name! We considered it, especially because that's Adam's dad's name.

That's pretty tricksy of you to enlist Everett to help convince Joel. :] I'm impressed. And I can't believe you only have two more months. How fun!

michelle said...

Cute name, we still haven't come up with a name for this baby and she could come any time in the next 4 weeks (hopefully sooner rather than later). And my girls love talking to my belly, especially Elanor who pretends to hold and love on the baby sister.

Pour Les Enfants said...

Love the name. Congratulations on deciding on the name. I am sure that is one difficult decision. Best wishes over the next 2.5 months.