Thursday, January 14, 2010

Official Un-official Poll

The kids and I had a WIC check-up appointment this morning. I never look forward to these because the office is always very slow, even though we usually try to get the very first appointment, and then they always tell me that my kids are overweight and I need to do such-and-such (which we're usually already doing, but that is a whole other post).


Today, though, the nutritionist told me something different. She asked how much milk Everett drinks every day, and I told her I limit him to two cups--which he doesn't always drink--of milk. If he drinks more than that, he doesn't eat at mealtimes, plus he doesn't need more than that for his age. The kids drink several cups of water during the day, and I only let them drink water with dinner. If I don't, they drink their entire glass first and don't have room left to get enough nutrition from the actual food.

She told me that this is actually the opposite of what is recommended now--I should only be giving the kids water between meals and only giving them milk or juice with their meal. It is supposed to aid digestion.

I can see her point. However, I also want my kids to eat their veggies, and that only happens if they don't fill up with drinks first. She asked me if I understood, and I said yes. It is a good thing she didn't ask me if I am going to implement this strategy, because I would have wanted to lie. I don't mind if their snack consists of a glass of milk and an orange. I do mind if they don't eat their dinner (lunch and breakfast--not so much of an issue, as they usually are fine having other drinks then). So that is where I stand.

Seeing as all kids are different, I was curious: Do any of you have preferences about what your kids drink during meal times? Have you noticed a difference in eating habits depending on what they're drinking? How do you like to do it?

7 comments:

Drae said...

Interesting.... I guess I never really thought about wanting my kids to drink anything other than water. I know they will, but I have always hoped to be able to have my kids addicted to water rather than juice, soda or milk. I'm not really much help on this though because I don't have kids yet, therefore I don't think like a mom yet either. However, I feel like there's a reason our bodies are a majority water... No help here, just wanted to comment. Sorry. Good luck with that. :)

Tori said...

Well, we had issues for awhile with getting Katrina to drink milk at all, so we gave her milk at every meal in order to try to force her to drink it if she was thirsty. I think it worked because now she drinks an entire sippy cup of milk a day and then drinks water between meals. But if it were keeping her from eating her other food, then I would certainly do something different.

WIC people want every kid to be the same, but they're not!

Rebekah said...

Oakley would be happy to just drink milk and not eat anything at all. I still let her have milk during the day, but not close to dinner time. I let my kids drink what ever they want with dinner (milk, water, soda), but they can't guzzle it. I make them take a bite of food inbetween every swallow. And if Oakley won't eat, then she gets no milk or drink at all.

Stephanie said...

I never drink water so it never really occures to me to give Lauren water during the day. I really hate WIC appointments. But the program is well thought out and I appreciate that. We are on Food Stamps and they just give you the money and you could spent $500 on twinkies and it doesn't matter. But you have to love the free milk and cheese.

Lisa J. said...

I have heard that water is the best for kids and I have heard that it isn't I have heard the same about cows milk and juice. The "experts" seem to change their mind a lot so just do what you feel is best.

Unknown said...

Everett won't drink milk. So, we use a straw bowl and he'll drink that milk. He eats loads of cheese and yogurt--I also try to cook calcium rich foods, which sometimes work. And, I make sure he gets vitamin D in his vitamins so that he can digest the calcium rich foods.

Merritt won't drink milk from a cup, only bottle. I have tried all kinds of strategies here. He may end up being like Everett.

I know lots of people that add chocolate and strawberry flavoring to make milk more enticing. Basically, I don't want to do it because it is more work (all nutricianal concerns about sugar aside).

Interesting to think about . . . and read the comments.

Shanda said...

Wow, I didn't know that. Caitlyne does not like milk, only if its with a cookie or her cereal. I nursed her for a very long time because she would never drink milk...I don't drink milk either. But your post made me realize that I need to at least offer it to my children. Because I don't even do that. Kimberly will drink it and sometimes asks for it, but we usually drink water around here...maybe I should worry more about the calcium. I'm not to worried about digestion--they seem alright in that area ;) But as far as getting the right calcium, I'm sure I'm lagging behind.