Often we like to have a family movie night on Friday nights. Everett gets very excited, and we enjoy showing him some movies we enjoyed as kids. There are so many to choose from, and Everett has liked all of them. Last Friday was our Stuart Little night. Everett especially loved this movie and learned what it means to be an orphan, that mice can drive toy cars and model boats, and that he would like to have a mouse in this family.
We also like to do pizza on these nights. Everett loves to help make it, and he is thrilled that I let him make his very own little pizza. He calls it his "Everett pizza" and is very careful with the assembly. I like doing pizza because everyone likes it, I can just throw the crust ingredients in the dough cycle on my bread machine, and it is a good way to use our WIC cheese.
(before toppings)
We also like to have homemade noodles. I like pasta just fine, but I love it when it is homemade. We put it in soups, have it with meatballs, or just with regular sauce. It is a nice thing for us to do because it is very cheap and easy, but the result is great. Someday I will get a pasta press and then I won't have to roll it all out by hand. I'm sure we'll have them even more often then.
Last time we made noodles, I gave Everett a pizza cutter and let him cut out his own noodles. I cooked them separately so I wouldn't have to fish them out of the main pot, and even though I wasn't watching and overcooked them, Everett scarfed them down. It is always fun to see him so very proud of his "Everett noodles".
It is fun to have a little kitchen helper. Everett is just lucky he is the oldest child. When the kids are older, there is no way that I'm going to start cooking noodles in five different pots just so everyone can have the ones they made!
2 comments:
What a fun idea! I love homemade pizza and noodles. Everett is so funny and looks like such a great helper! I've only made homemade noodles for chicken noodle soup. Never, spaghetti like noodles. Maybe you should give a cooking class (in your spare time, haha) before the little one comes. I could certainly benefit!
Sounds like such a great mom. You are teaching great life skills to Everett. I hope you continue with the others. You could put them in charge of other things you know. Like making the sauces, shredding cheese, etc. That way everyone is involved. I do have a pasta maker at home, if you want it. It is an electric one. I rarely use it and can ship it to you in April if you want. I personally prefer my manual one. I also hope these recipes make it to our cooking blog.
Post a Comment