Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Proof That it Happened

A couple of weeks ago, Notre Dame hosted a fancy dance for all of us in graduate family housing. Joel was so, so excited to go!

To tell you the truth, neither of us are dancers, and neither of us really enjoy dances that much. However, I do like going out and doing something different, maybe dressing up a little, and socializing. I didn't have anything to wear besides my basic black church dress, but the fact that we had free babysitting available to us made the decision to go a no-brainer.

We met up with some good friends at the dance. The four men you see are all in the same program, and I have really enjoyed getting to know everyone. The three of us women to the right are all pregnant, and we're all due within a few weeks of each other. We all got to ride from our housing to the ballroom in a stretch hummer limo, which was a fun touch. The atmosphere inside the limo was subdued, and people were talking about job prospects, graduate work, and moving plans. It made me smile because if we had been a bunch of high schoolers in there, you can bet it would have been pretty rowdy.


We enjoyed sitting and eating hors d'oeuvres. When a slow dance came on, I made Joel venture onto the dance floor with me. He only complained a little bit.


In all the time we've known each other, it has taken us this long to have even a single dance together. Between my waddling and Joel's lack of rhythm, we didn't look very good but at least we danced while we were at a dance. What a concept!

Another slow song followed this one, but I couldn't convince Joel to stay on the dance floor. That was okay, as I am over seven months pregnant and wore three inch heels. Surprisingly, I never lost my balance, but I did underestimate the difficulty of getting in and out of a hummer a) in heels, b) in a short dress, and c) being very pregnant. The limo driver was quite startled by my slide/jump to get out, but that's just the way it goes.

It was a fun night, and it was made even better because of the great friends we've found here. Oh, I guess I did like my date pretty well, too :).

4 comments:

R said...

so what are the moving plans??

Elise said...

We aren't the ones with moving plans (yet). When we have them, you'll know immediately, don't worry.

Mike & Rachel Barton said...

Elise, you look SO cute! It sounds like you had a fun date!

Chelsea and gang said...

Elise you look adorable! That dress is so pretty on you and your cute belly! I can't believe you are due in like 6 weeks. WOW!