Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Pictures

The puffiness in William's face was better the second day so I took some more pictures. Here is the little guy with his eyes open:


He has the biggest newborn hands I've ever seen. Joel is convinced he'll grow up able to palm a basketball.


My babies like to be born with plenty of black hair. Everett and Ashley had thicker hair, but William has lots of hair all over his body to compensate. He even has it sprouting on his ears, shoulders, and arms. You can't really tell in this picture, but the sides of his forehead are covered with hair, too! The child is a bruiser, and we love him dearly. I started calling him "little bear" in the hospital, but I don't know if it will stick. Right now I'm just trying not to call him Everett.


Proud Dad


Proud Everett


Proud Ashley


Ideally, I would have liked to go home from the hospital Sunday night, but I was willing to stay an extra night for William's sake. I was hoping we could go home first thing Monday morning, but no such luck. The hospital needed William to stay so they could send the 48 hour post-birth blood work in to the state. Even though I was antsy and ready to get on with my life, I decided it was a good thing he and I had an extra day to spend together. I gave him as much skin-to-skin contact as I could.

My favorite way to hold newborns: laying on his belly with his head snuggled right up against the skin of my neck and collarbone area. This is how we looked the majority of that last day. It was wonderful and peaceful, and despite my anxiousness to get home, I really enjoyed being able to do this without interruption.

Now we're home and doing well, and it has been really nice to get back to my normal life. I have my wonderful mother and sister out here to help me, so I get to enjoy all of the fun parts of my day and few of the routine chores. It was great to spend time with Everett and Ashley this morning and it is nice to feel self-sufficient again.

5 comments:

Tuttles said...

William and darling, and I'm not just saying that. He really is such a cute newborn!

Stephanie said...

Oh my goodness, I have been out of the blogging loop and missed the birth of your son. Congratulations. Sign me up for one hour labors. Mine are painless but last like 30 hours.

He is so handsome. He looks so cozy and happy laying on your shoulder. I love that he is hairy.
Because Lauren was born a month early she still had lots of hair on her body. Like on her ears, and shoulders. Jeff was really concerned that it would go away despite the doctors telling him that it would.

Anyway have fun with your sweet new little baby.

Boswell Family said...

Congrats Elise! He is darling! And what a fast delivery...good thing too! I don't think I could do it without an epidural.
Congrats again!!!!

Shanda said...

So every time I read a birth story I cry. Thanks for sharing yours. I'm glad for your sake it went fast. Crazy though!!! William is so handsome! He really is, hair and all. He is such a beautiful baby! I love the pictures with all your family holding him. I can't wait until we add another member to our family! I wish I was there to help you. I hope all continues to go well for you!

Chelsea and gang said...

ELISE!!!!!!
He is so cute! He looks like you! He totally has your eyes. That picture of him and Ashley are so cute. I cannot believe you have 3 little ones! How is it?? I'm so jealous!! hehe CONGRATS!!!!!!!! Love you!