Saturday, March 20, 2010

William Warren


William was born at 8:06. He is 8 lbs 2 oz and 20 1/4 inches long. He has big hands and is hairy like a bear. Hair on his forehead, ears, shoulders, back, etc.

Elise's Mom and Sister arrived today. I guess they got here just in time. We were leaving to go to dinner and Elise tells me in the car that she just had a contraction. We go to dinner and she continues to have contractions. She starts monitoring how regularly they are and after about an hour decides we should go to the hospital.

On the way to the hospital she thinks that her water was already broken and I ask why we didn't go to the hospital earlier? We get to the hospital and she comments how much more painful these contractions are compared to Everett or Ashley. We got to the hospital around 7:30 and Elise immediately asks for an epideral. They wait for her midwife to get there before they do anything. Again Elise asks for an epideral. As soon as her midwife takes one lok at her she informs her that the baby is coming and she can't have an epideral. Elise is moved to the delivery room and her midwife has no time to get fully dressed. She was trying to put on these scrub like boots, and couldn't put them on. At 8:06 Elise gives birth to a new son, William Warren.

Funny story from my perspective. With both Everett and Ashley they immediately cut the child loose clean it off and proceed to weigh and measure it. With William they clear his lungs and immediately give him to Elise. So Elise is holding this mucussy child while they clean it. Then they tell her to breastfeed him. So Elise is taking care of this boy and they haven't even cut the embilical chord. I attribute to having a midwife. I am predisposed to think of midwives as treehugger types.

15 comments:

Mike and Kelly said...

Congrats you guys, and a day before you were due... that is not fair... And as for the tree hugging midwives.. I am afraid that giving the baby to the mom right after the birth is standard of care here in South Bend. They call it skin to skin. Congrats again, and let us know if there is anything that you need.

Tori said...

Congratulations! What a fast labor, wow!
I didn't know you had a midwife this time, Elise--that's what I want next time. I'll have to ask you how you liked it.(Though I do admit that I also prefer clean babies to mucousy ones, Joel!) I can't wait to see more pictures and hear things from Elise's perspective too!

marianne said...

congrats

Jon said...

CONGRATS!!! Joel, good to see you posting on here. And the whole mucussy baby thing is a South Bend thing. Since this is our first I didn't know any different, but in going to the hospital to take the classes they told us that's what they did. So I'm prepared for it. But if for any reason Donnarae can't take the baby then they told us that I would need to take my shirt off and hold the baby while they take care of Donnarae.

We are really happy for you guys and can't wait to meet the little one.

Unknown said...

CONGRATS! We are so excited for you and think he is perfect!

Pour Les Enfants said...

congratulations! I am so excite for you guys!

michelle said...

Congrats! He is adorable. Quick births are the best.

Shanda said...

Congratulations!!! I hope mom & baby are recovering well. I've heard births without epidurals are painful in the moment, but a much speedier recovery. I'm happy for you & great that it was perfect timing! Enjoy little William!

Maksymov Family said...

Congratulations! I love Joel's perspective of the birth! We are happy everyone is well.

Alicia said...

Congratulations, Elise!!!

Erika said...

WOW, that was fast! Congrats on your new baby boy!!!

Devin, Naomi and Spencer said...

Congratulations, so sorry about the epidural, that just is lousy. Happy you are both healthy, can't wait to meet him!

Amanda said...

Congratulations guys!!! I can't believe how fast your labor was but I guess that's normal for your third! Wow you have three kids. Can't wait to hear the birth story from your perspective. Not that Joel's was boring or anything :) Have fun with little William and can't wait for more pictures.

Jessica Brown said...

Congratulations for your new hairy little man. Wow Elise way to go natural! I'm glad you made it to the hospital in time! You guys have such a great family.

Unknown said...

oh joel.. what would this world be without you? congrats you guys. love the name and he's adorable.