Wednesday, July 21, 2010

If You Have Old Apples You Want to Get Rid of, This Post Is For You

It seems no one in my house wants to eat apples anymore now that we have a whole bunch of good summer fruit to choose from. This means we had quite a few old, almost-wrinkly apples lying around. I didn't feel like tossing them out, so we used them for dinners the past two nights:


APPLE CINNAMON WAFFLES (healthy!)

(disclaimer: I kind of made this up, so I might not exactly remember the amounts I used. I usually just toss things together without thinking about it--and yes, this has led to a lot of failures. However, this one worked out pretty well!)

2 c. flour--use whole wheat if you need to be more "regular." Hah.
3/4 tsp. soda
3 eggs, separated (discard one yolk)
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 c. milk (the batter shouldn't be too runny but it also shouldn't be stiff. It should be fluffy. If you need, add more milk.)
1/2 c. plain yogurt (I used vanilla because that is all I had)
1/2 c. applesauce
2 c. diced apples.
2 T cinnamon (or as much as you want; I just dumped in a bunch)

Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Combine egg yolks with milk, yogurt, and applesauce. Add dry ingredients. Mix well. Fold in egg whites. Cook on regular waffle iron.

I think these are best topped with a little butter and a sprinkling of powdered sugar, but you can use maple syrup if you're like Joel :). Joel even had quite a few of these, which I consider a success because he isn't a huge fan of waffles.



APPLE CHUTNEY (I got this delicious recipe from a friend of mine)

(disclaimer: I didn't have jalapenos, so I left them out. I also left out the raisins because Joel doesn't like them. It is better with both these ingredients but I didn't miss them too much)

From Eastside Café in Austin, Texas

1 pound Granny Smith apples

¼ cup apple cider vinegar

1/3 cup sugar

3 tablespoons onion, diced

2 teaspoons fresh jalapenos, seeded and minced (watch for spiciness—hot jalapenos can burn your hands and don’t ever touch your face when handling them)

2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced

½ teaspoon fresh garlic minced

½ teaspoon allspice (or 1/8 tsp cloves, 1/8 tsp. nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp. cinnamon)

¼ teaspoon cinnamon

½ teaspoon ground coriander

1/3 cup raisins

Pinch of salt


Peel and quarter apples. You can use an apple slider, but don’t use it on all the apples because it will be a mushy chutney instead of a chunkier one.

Slice in ¼ inch slices. Combine apples and remaining ingredients in a large stock pot.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes. (FYI: I did this in my crock pot because I wouldn't be home, and it was fine.)

This recipe doubles and cans very well.

0 comments: