Do you ever have a bunch of little thoughts that don't exactly belong together but you don't have any place to put them? I do. And here they all are, to suck some more time out of your day.
Everett just learned how to write his name. He refuses to even attempt anything that is challenging for him (something I'm trying to work on with him), so I took him to the store for a little motivation. We picked out some twistable colored pencils, took them home, and began our writing lesson. The new pencils worked better than I imagined and Everett quickly learned the new skill. Now that he knows he can do it with a little effort, he wants to write all day long. Thank goodness--sometimes a little bribery really does open doors.
I'm losing hair again. Happens after the birth of all my children so far. It is disgusting. I brush my hair and the linoleum on our bathroom floor turns into what looks like a dark brown shag carpet. Do you know how annoying it is to be washing your hair, only to pull your hands from your head and see your fingers wrapped with a hundred twisted hairs?
I just went to the dentist. My last appointment was over five years ago. I joked to Joel before I left that I just might use all of our flex spending up on cavities. Joel just knew I'd have quite a few. BUT. . .no cavities. Not a one. After Joel got over his disbelief, he decided it was all because of the toothpaste we use. Since we've been married, I have not been allowed to bring home any toothpaste other than crest whitening with scope. Occasionally I try something new; when I do, Joel acts (with great horror and astonishment) as if he's been robbed of his most prized possession. Naturally, given this attachment, he would assume the correlation between no cavities and this particular toothpaste really does exist.
When I tuck the kids into bed at night, I have to follow a particular routine. Ashley wants me to sing "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" while I hold her on my lap and cuddle her. Then I lay her down and tuck the blanket up around her and her favorite stuffed monkey. Then I must--I absolutely must--tell that monkey (in a mockingly stern voice) the rules: no jumping around, no getting out of bed, no yelling. That monkey must close its eyes and go to sleep, buster. Ashley giggles every night after I've finished lecturing her monkey. Then she lays her head down and goes to sleep.
Everett wants me to sing "Baby Jesus" which is his name for "Away in a Manger". While I sing, he wants to lay on his pillow while I stroke his face and hair. Then I make sure the sheet and blankets are tucked around him, I make sure his favorite dogs are in their proper places, and then I give them the same lecture I give Ashley's monkey. Everett's smile and the dimple in his cheek emphasizes his amusement and pleasure at this little routine.
Hershey's Dark Chocolate Chips have to be the best thing ever invented. They are so much better in cookies than semi-sweet, which is what most people recommend because it counteracts the sweetness in the cookie dough. The dark chocolate has more chocolately flavor and tastes less waxy. Yum.
Ashley is beginning to draw with intention. Her squiggles are taking on recognizable form. She draws delicately--she holds the pencil artfully supported amongst her thumb and forefingers, touches only the very tip to the paper, and draws. It's like watching a tiny ballerina pirouette and arabesque airily across the page.
William has been laughing for about 10 days now (no, not straight, although that would be amusing). My sister gets to claim his first chuckle, but I get to claim the first belly laugh.
1 comments:
I'll have to try the dark chocolate chips!
Sorry about the hair issue, that really is awful, been there, done that.
Your kids are such cuties!
Post a Comment