Lately Everett has been very tuned in to the phrases I am saying (unless they contain the words "no," "wait," or "hurry up"). Often when he comes to me and announces grand plans or informs me of something positive he's done, I reply with a very simple "good!".
Four days ago, I guess I filled my quota.
"Mom, why do you say 'good' aw da time?"
"Well, Everett, I guess I just like to say it. What do you think I should say instead?"
"I don't know. Some-peen ewse." (that was "something else" for those of you not fluent in Everett-speak.)
Yesterday, as Everett was playing but couldn't quite get his creation correct, I couldn't help but notice that "Blimey!" escaped from his mouth every few seconds. Just as I was getting around to smiling to myself (Everett picked that one up from me, and I in turn had picked it up from Joel), Everett turned to me and again asked:
"Mom, why do you say Bwimey aw da time?"
I just laughed. "Everett, what do you want me to say instead?"
"ELISE JOHNSON!" Everett replied, without hesitation and with an edge of false exasperation.
In a similar manner, he has also questioned me on my usage of "see you later" as a phone-conversation-ender.
I realized at Walmart a few weeks ago that I might also over-use the word "guy" or "you guys". I was shopping with all three kids and we had just gotten all of our items loaded on the conveyor belt, when I suddenly remembered we had forgotten a necessity. I sighed and informed the kids that we needed to put it all back in the cart and go find the item (soap) before we could actually purchase everything.
"Hey Guy! Hey Guy!" Everett yelled to the cashier. "We need to go get some-peen! We will be wight back! Okay?!"
It was a fine gesture on Everett's part, except for one small detail. The cashier was not a guy; she was a woman. She--with her masculine haircut and unisex clothes--glanced over at him and chose to ignore his enthusiastic announcement. I would have done the same thing. I returned our items to the cart as quickly as possible and got the kids out of there. When we returned, we went through a different line even though our original choice would have been faster.
It will be interesting to see what else Everett notices about my speech habits. It will also be interesting to see what else he copies. If there was ever a time to watch my language, this would definitely be it!
0 comments:
Post a Comment