Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Matter of Opinon OR Whose Opinion Is More Important?

I was at a used children's items store today to pick up some sunday shoes for Ashley, and Everett made fast friends with a special little dog. It was only a dollar so I told him we could take it home and it would be his prize at the end of the week if he stayed dry (an aside: he has been doing well, but three days in the car with a diaper on caused a little temporary potty training regression).

There is a little something unique about this dog, and this is the thing that drew Everett's interest: It came equipped with a zippered pocket and two handles for carrying.

I called it a bag, but Joel did not agree.

"A PURSE?" He exclaimed upon walking in the door after his classes. "You bought our son a PURSE?" Everett happily showed him the zipper pocket which he had filled with animal figurines and cars.

"It's not a purse, it's a bag," I stated defensively and bemusedly. "Besides, even if it were, he's only two. We don't need to be assigning strict gender roles already. It's just like those little boys who try on their sisters dress up clothes."

"EXACTLY." Said Joel. "I can't believe you bought our son a purse," and shook his head.

"Oh, he just looked so cute with it, honey. He was so happy carrying it around in the crook of his arm, and--"

"See? This is exactly what I'm talking about." He replied. Apparently I was not helping my case any, so I just laughed at him.

With that, I'm turning it over to you. What do you think? Purse? Bag? Man Purse? Men's carry-all ("It's European!")? Let us know. Joel's very sanity may depend on it. Poll is below the picture.





What would you call the dog?


6 comments:

Brittany said...

ok, so after looking at the dog, if you cut of the handles it's a win-win situation because some stuffed animals have zippers and little compartments.

Lisa J. said...

I would call it a purse but maybe that's because I have 3 girls so everything is a purse. But it is not a girly purse. I say forget Joel and let him have is "bag".

Unknown said...

Let him have the bag. Less for someone else to carry. Pretend it is an animal gym bag, Joel.

Rebekah said...

I think it is a backpack.

amy bail said...

I think we might be able to find some pictures of Joel in a dress when he was little. Maybe that would shut him up. If not we could always photoshop some pictures of Joel in a dress.

queenie said...

I second Amy's suggestion of joel in drag.
It is a purse, but it doesn't matter. if Everett calls it a bag, it's a bag. It will be gone by the time he's in high school. :)