. . .I was a college freshmen who had to go to the emergency room late one night to get 11 stitches in my forehead. I had run full-on into a light switch and the pressure of it split my skin in three ways, right between the eyebrows. Freak accident? You betcha. Was I the laughingstock of the emergency room? Definitely.
But it does make for a good story. I had hoped that my children wouldn't inherit my clumsiness, but I think Everett is doomed.
Last night he dashed out the front door when a friend of ours came to visit, and when he came running back into the apartment, somehow he slipped and smacked his forehead straight onto the cinder block corner just outside our door frame.
He had a pretty nasty gash, which made for an interesting conversation about blood. I hope it is a long time before he gets scared to see himself bleeding; as for now, I try to stress the "interesting" part to avoid any panicking.
All things considered, it could have been much, much worse. Broken teeth. Busted nose. Split lips. As it was, I considered taking him to the emergency room to get stitches. The gash looked deep enough to have gone down to the muscle, but it was only about a centimeter in length and it really didn't bleed for very long, considering that it was a head wound. I wouldn't have given it a second thought if it were anywhere else on his body but his forehead, but I wasn't sure where the line was on facial scars. (Still am not sure. Could someone please explain? Thank you.)
Fortunately we have three nurses living in our building so I found one and asked her over. She said it didn't need stitches and we got the appropriate bandages.
However, the bandaging part was worse for Everett than the actual incident. He just doesn't like people messing with him (yes, that means the doctor's office can be a bit of a nightmare). But he did pretty well once we put a bandage on the doggie and he got to have one on his knee so he could feel that it didn't hurt.
Showing concern for the doggie. I let him have the dog purse/bag early because it was the one thing that helped calm him down.
Looking pitiful. He had a pretty nasty bump and complained that the wound was sore, but amazingly he left the bandage undisturbed. An episode of Duck Tales, a few pieces of candy, and he was ready to settle down in bed.
So there's our latest misadventure. I'm sure the next one will be much worse, maybe even a broken bone. Then we can have a lesson on x-rays and casts. Woo-hoo!
1 comments:
Head wounds are the worst! Ella's had far too many...and the last one she got, when she slid into the chair at playgroup, left a nice dent in her forehead that I'm afraid will never go away. Happy it wasn't worse!
Post a Comment