Thursday, December 17, 2009

Going on an Airplane

I'm sitting on the couch next to Everett, who is absorbed in his favorite TV show (Caillou). I'm not sure why he loves this show so much, when there are lots of other shows on about dinosaurs, trains, cars, and Mickey Mouse. Even though Caillou's voice annoys me sometimes, it is not nearly as annoying as Syd the Science Kid. Does anyone know that show? I can't stand their voices. I think Everett likes Caillou because the narration is very easy for him to understand. The grandmotherly voice will explain that Caillou is sad because of such-and-such, or that Caillou really wants to do something-or-other.


The kids have been watching TV all morning in anticipation of our trip today. I didn't want them to get out any more toys, so I haven't felt guilty about the extra TV time. We leave around nap time to get on the airplane, and Everett couldn't be more excited!

I am not nervous about traveling with these kids. I have Joel with me, so we can each take a child. Everett gets his own seat. He is old enough to watch movies or play a computer game I got him, and Ashley is a gem and can sit still arranging animal figurines or coloring for a very long time. I think I've thought of everything; I've even wrapped up a few little things I got at the dollar store as a last resort. We have snacks coming out our ears. I figure that at the very least, if I keep their mouths busy they can't be too obnoxious. I have a change of clothes for each of the kids and a change of shirt for me, wrapped up individually in grocery bags. Joel is out of luck :).

Last time I flew with Joel, he got sick on the airplane and had to sit with his face in a trash bag. If this happens again, I don't think I will think it's very funny.

We're excited to see family, especially Everett. He is excited to play with cousins and visit his many grandparents. I think Joel is just excited that his finals are done.

3 comments:

R said...

well we're excited to see you guys too.

Rebekah said...

Joel should take some dromamean (spelling totlly incorrect). It is a motion sickness pill.

Pour Les Enfants said...

Have a great trip. Best wishes to you and your family this holiday.