Tuesday, December 1, 2009

It's That Time Again. . .

I had my 24 week doctor's appointment today and we were finally (and by that, I mean Fi-Na-Lly!) able to schedule our "20 week" ultrasound/gender check. We had some insurance issues and the doctor's office wouldn't schedule the ultrasound until we were back on, even though they should have scheduled it at my last appointment when I was 17 weeks along and the hospital would have taken my old insurance anyway.

Needless to say, it has been quite the wait. But we're happy it's finally here, and everyone is excited to find out whether the baby is a boy or a girl. At least, I thought everyone was excited.

Last night I was comparing my schedule with Joel's so I'd know in advance what days wouldn't work for the ultrasound. We have such a support system out here, I knew we would have no problem finding someone who could watch the kids for an hour so we both could go. Joel missed Ashley's because he had to work. I decided he was not going to miss this one.

"Why do I need to go?" Joel whined asked.

I was taken aback, and couldn't think of what to say for a minute. ". . .Because!" I spluttered, "it is your child, and you only got to see Everett in utero because you were working when I had Ashley's!"

"Well, I don't need to go this time, either." Joel replied, more unemotionally than I would have predicted.

"But this is the interesting one. You get to see all the parts, and you get to find out what the baby is."

"Well, I've already seen all the parts of a baby, and I get to find out what the baby is as soon as you get home." Joel's lack of sentimentality, like a gaping hole, filled the room and sucked all the words out of my mouth.

So I just kissed him, told him that I was dragging him to the ultrasound whether he liked it or not, and patted him sweetly on the rear end for good measure.

Friday at 9:30 we get to go find out our baby's variety. We also get to make sure the heart is working properly, among other things, but I'd be lying if I said that is what I'm most excited for.

On that note, I'm putting up a poll. What do you think the baby will be? We will have two of something. Boys? Girls? Do we need another Joel or another Elise in this house? Do we have too much sentimentality or not enough? Look in the upper corner of the blog and cast your vote, if you have the time or inclination. All the votes in the world won't change anything now, but it sure is fun to predict!

(for those of you who like the old wives' tales, the heartbeat today was at a steady 140 bpm.)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

very exciting! i love the ultrasound time! i also voted.. girl.. not that you, elise, need another elise, but that joel does. Gotta keep joel in line:) But i also think it's a girl maily cause my girls heart beat was always in the 140s.

Pour Les Enfants said...

Okay, I voted another Girl like Elise because your two kids look more like you than Joel. And anywhay, who wants another unsentimental Joel around? You may drag him kicking and screaming to the Ultrasound but he will be very thankful you did. I would tell the doctor not to tell you and see if Joel can figure it out. Get him involved and he may like it more. Just a thought.

Congratulations and I can not wait to hear what it is.

Devin, Naomi and Spencer said...

Hey Elise, Finally, I'm so excited for you to find out! It would be fun if it was a girl, then all three of us would have cute girls!

Good Luck!

Naomi

Rebekah said...

You better call grandma asap when you find out. Every time I talk to her she asks me what you guys are having or if you have found out yet.

Erika said...

It's already time...or should I say FINALLY time. That's crazy that you've had to wait so long. And Joel. That boy doesn't get it does he. Good thing you know what's best for him :) Can't wait to hear!

Jessica Brown said...

You crack me up! I love it. I'm voting girl. It sounds like you need a little more sentimentality in that house hold. :)

Chelsea and gang said...

Ok I am officially dying! I think we could definitely use a little more Elise in this world, but I am thinking it will be a boy. I can't wait AH!