Monday, April 5, 2010

Egg Hunting

My kids got to go to two different Easter Egg hunts this year. They were thrilled. I was not so thrilled about them bringing large amounts of candy into this house, as I don't really want them to eat it all in the first place. However, this isn't usually a problem because Joel sneakily lays claim on at least 70 percent of the stash all in the name of "daddy taxes." The kids never question the fact that the candy supply diminishes much faster than is possible with just the two of them eating it.


They will sit and polish off as much candy as they can get away with. Depending on my mood, I am of two schools of thought: one is that they may have one or two pieces at a time over a period of several days or a week.. The other is that they can gorge themselves and let Joel finish the rest, therefore removing all candy from my house swiftly and completely.

Mostly I favor the second approach. Get it all out of everyone's sight.


One egg hunt was held outside in our complex's playground area. It was well-planned and very enjoyable; a visit from the Easter Bunny himself was the icing on the cake.





Standing at the ready.



Ashley was very much excited at the prospect of candy-filled eggs.





Everett, though excited, collapsed in tears when I left him to go help Ashley among the younger kids. I decided to let her fend for herself--she doesn't care to have help with much of anything--and Everett and I enjoyed finding eggs together. I looked over to Ashley periodically and noticed that she was quite content holding a single egg in one hand and her empty bag in another.



The other egg hunt was held inside our community center. It was also very enjoyable, with slightly more eggs for the taking. Everett was one of the older kids in this group; I had to severely limit his egg collection so the littler kids could have a chance at some as well. He was even (very sweetly) willing to give some of his eggs up to a girl about his age who didn't find very many.


Everett quickly became a fan of the entire production.




Again, Ashley was content with a single candy-filled egg, which she promptly opened and consumed. Then she happily wandered around the building with a mouth full of candy and an empty bag.



Here she is after having finished her candy. I showed her a stash of eggs, and, wanting to replenish her blood sugar level I'm sure, she enthusiastically built a nice little collection of chocolate and jelly beans.


It was a fun holiday. The candy has been eaten, the plastic eggs have been done away with, and though it was fun, I am glad to have it all out of my hair. Five hundred square feet of living space is not a whole lot of room for two sugared-up toddlers to run around in!

0 comments: