Tuesday, April 20, 2010

On the Road

Everett goes to preschool twice a week at a school near by. He loves going to school, and I love that he is improving his speech and articulation while I am getting two hours of peace and quiet. I also love that he gets to take the bus--his class runs during nap time and this way I don't have to worry about packing sleepy kids in the car.

(not his usual expression)

Putting Everett on the bus is always fun. He is thrilled to see it coming for him and happily climbs up the steps while the bus driver is getting his special car seat ready for him. He and I have a little ritual: when he sits on his seat, I stand back on the curb a few feet from his window. Everett cranes his little neck and angles his head just right so he can see me standing there. Then he waves and grins at me while the driver straps him in, he waves and grins while she gets the bus going again, and he waves and grins until they round the corner and are out of my sight. I stand out there and wave back until he is gone; I can't help but smile, myself.

I don't think I will ever tire of meeting Everett at the bus. According to his regular bus driver, as soon as the bus pulls into our complex and circles back around to our building, Everett begins to excitedly anticipate meeting me.

"Mommy! Mommy!" He'll declare, over and over again. When he can actually see me, he grows even more excited.

When the bus stops, the doors open, and the assistant driver unbuckles him from his seat, Everett bounds down the steps and bursts out with an exuberant "Hi Mommy!" The assistant driver hands me his backpack while Everett turns around and happily says goodbye and thank-you to the drivers.

I take Everett's hand while we walk inside and he chatters excitedly about his day. When we get inside, Everett invites me to sit on the couch with him while he pulls out his latest projects from his backpack. "Let me show you, Mommy!" he says. I ooh and ahh, and occasionally tape something up on our door at his request, then I offer him a snack.

As much as I sometimes wish my two hours of peace and quiet could be extended a little, I love getting my Everett from the bus and hearing all about what he did at school. It is fun to experience a little of his delight, and it is fun to greet a boy who is still excited to see me. Someday I'll read this again and maybe it will bring back some of these memories. Until then, I get to live them!

1 comments:

Sharon McKee said...

One of my saddest days was when Tamsyn forgot to do that and I was waving my heart out hoping she would look. Love this moment!