Thursday, April 29, 2010

Firsts

Number one first this week: William has smiled! I have been working on him for a long time, since he has pleasantly been cooing for a good while, but I didn't have any luck. Joel gets to claim William's very first smile (to my disappointment--he wasn't even trying to get one!), but I get to claim the majority of them.

Yesterday we went to a carnival on campus that was hosted by one of the residence halls as their yearly service project. It was great! Among other things, they had a miniature petting zoo, three inflatable bounce houses, lots of food, face painting, and balloon animals.

Ashley enjoyed her very first pony ride. She had no fear and happily sat on the animal while it was led around the grass, even though Joel and I remained at the starting point.


Everett, though, was not so interested in riding the horses. He was much more interested in the activities of the other animals "the Llama is looking at me, Mommy!" Also, I think he was a little scared of getting up on the horse.



The kids also enjoyed their first taste of cotton candy. I love cotton candy--don't ask me why. Everett seemed to agree with me and downed his (fortunately the people operating the machine gave the kids small amounts).



Ashley, though, was not so impressed.


I guess I don't blame her. It is kind of strange stuff, isn't it?

(As a side note, this week has been Ashley's first week in a ponytail. I'm really liking the simplicity and practicality of it.)



William enjoyed the carnival as well. . .from the safety of our homemade moby wrap. I love this thing. I have his head popped out of the wrap in this picture, but usually it is like swaddling him to my chest, which means he'll contentedly sleep whenever he's in it. I can do anything, even make beds, with him in this and he doesn't flop around at all.


When we got home from the carnival, I was exhausted and sick, so I decided to give the kids "paint" to use in the bathtub so they would stay in there for a little while and let me have a few minutes to put my feet up.



It wasn't really paint. It was two drops of food coloring in a little water I had put in cups, but the paintbrushes must have made it feel authentic. The whole thing kept them entertained for a while and there was no clean-up. And yes, I let them paint each other as well as the bathtub.


BUT, the "first" that happened this week I'm the happiest about is this:

Everett has finally learned how to ride a tricyle!

(Ashley has claimed this green tricycle as her own--they are all up for grabs around here--but she can't reach the pedals quite yet. Everett has claimed this tiny red one because there is a place in the back to carry his extensive rock collection. There are "cooler" looking tricycles around here, but Everett doesn't care about that yet.)

Everett's legs have been too short to reach the pedals until recently, and he has also had a lot of trouble getting everything coordinated (plus, the tricycles around here are a little rusty and some are hard to pedal), but he is now riding like a champ. I think he'll be ready for a little bike this summer.

It's a little thing, and it is something most older two-year-olds can figure out easily, but it has been hard for him. Everett was always on track (or early) with physical development as a baby, but as he has gotten older, he has been a little behind. He couldn't jump off the floor until he was almost three, and Ashley can do that now. I think this is all related to his delayed speech; I think his muscle tone is somewhat immature.

But, we play outside for two or three hours every day (partially to get the kids stronger) and I am happy that now he spends a good amount of that time riding around like a little racer. So far, so good.

0 comments: