Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Storytelling

When I was growing up, my Mother used to tell great stories. She gave each of us an important role in the story--we were princesses, princes, and knights--and we each had a special horse with a special name. Courage and bravery and intelligence were our characteristics; swords and shields were our weapons. We loved it. I have great memories of listening to her spin tales all about us. I have, as I have mentioned before, a Supermom. She did everything, and she did everything well.


Today I decided to tell stories with Everett. I have always wondered if he would sit still for a story without pictures, but apparently he can if I include the right things.

The stories began with Everett running outside to meet a giant red robot that just landed in the sandbox. Everett pushed a green button on the Robot's stomach (here is where we would add sound effects and hand motions) and open a door, also on its stomach, revealing a special chair inside for Everett to sit in, and a window to the outside world.

You can guess what would happen next. They went on adventures together--to the moon, to a candy factory, to the forest--and the story would always end with the robot bringing Everett home as it was getting dark. Of course, Everett always had to ask his mother for permission to leave the house, and she always granted it.

It was really fun to stop during the story and say, ". . .and what do you think he said?" or ". . .what did he do next?" to see Everett working out some problem-solving ideas. This child has a great imagination. He also enjoyed participating in all the sound effects and hand gestures, the dimple in his cheek making an appearance with each one. Everett was captivated for a half hour and still begged me for more. Maybe we'll have to make this a consistent thing.

So thanks, Mom, for showing me how fun it can be to make up stories. You're the best!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Right now, we are on the series "Prince Evy who can talk to animals" and in the story he saves some poor accident prone animal from certain death because he can communicate with all animals. Erik is much better at the animal noises than I am.

Unknown said...

BTW, has he seen the animated movie "The Iron Giant"? He might like it.