Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Blessing Day

This past weekend we had the good fortune of having not one, but both sets of parents here for a visit. We decided that we would have William blessed on Mother's Day so at least some relatives could be present. I was a little hesitant to have the blessing done at church, because Mother's Day can be a difficult day for many people and I didn't want to add to their hardship, but it made the most practical sense and we didn't really have another option.

Ashley had a new dress to wear and we were all color-coordinated, so I had a friend of ours come take pictures with his nice camera. He is talented and I think the pictures came out wonderfully, even though I'm never that happy with how my forced smiles look.


First family picture with all three kids. Everett has a cheesy grin from saying "cheese", William's hand is in his face, and I don't look that happy, but really I think it turned out as well as can be expected. The photography itself is wonderful.




Our friend took a few candid shots as well. These are my favorites. The man holding Ashley is Joel's dad.




This was an impromptu shot. William looks cold and unhappy, but he was really doing pretty well.


On the way home, the kids found a little frog. I'm so glad our friend got some pictures.


My parents and us.


Joel's parents and us. I think this is the picture William looks the best in.


We had a wonderful day together. The blessing went really well. Baby blessings are something we do in our church after a child is born. The father, if he holds the priesthood and is worthy, or another person who holds the priesthood, holds the baby in his arms, assisted by others who hold the priesthood, and says a prayer. In the prayer, he addresses our Father in Heaven and gives the baby a name that is chosen by the parents. He then blesses the baby as the Holy Ghost inspires him--this is when Heavenly Father tells us things about that child and his life. It is my favorite part and a deeply meaningful occasion. This is what we learned about William, for those of you who were unable to make it out here for the blessing:

He is blessed with the power of discernment--that he will understand the needs of those around him and how to help them.

He is blessed with a life of service--he will serve on his mission and the power of discernment will help him serve better.

That he has been blessed already with the spirit of kindness.

He is blessed with a quick mind, that he will learn quickly and understand principles.

He will have many good relationships in his life.


Even though I am sad that the newborn stage is coming to a close, I am excited to see William grow up, and I am excited to see him reach his potential. We are thrilled that he has joined our family.

5 comments:

Jessica Brown said...

What a great blessing. And what great family photos. Thank goodness for friends with cameras. I love the picture of you and William. You look so beautiful and natural. I also love the one of Everett and Ashley looking at the frog. That is so adorable. What a beautiful family.

Rebekah said...

Those pictures are really cute. I love the family picture of you guys. I still think you look way to good for just having a baby. I am glad it was nice and all the parents could be there.

Tasha said...

Those are great photos and I love the color on you (and that everyone is coordinating). Congrats to Joel for graduating!

Shanda said...

Your family picture is beautiful! I love the blue! And I miss the green! Every time I see your pictures I miss the Midwest! Good luck with the job hunt! I wish I had good words of wisdom for you. The best I can say is keep reading your scriptures & hang in there. I lost patience very early into the game, but I never lost my faith. I hope Graduation is wonderful for you!

Drae said...

I'm sad I missed the blessing, but it sounds wonderful! Despite what you may think... your family pictures turned out great. I definitely think you're photogenic and look great in the pictures. I have a picture of you at the picnic we had last week and I think you look great in it. I'll have to send it your way. Hopefully we can still get together before we all take off.

Love ya!