Thursday, May 5, 2011

Joy of Childhood # 347

I don't know any child who doesn't enjoy picking dandelions.  This pretty but obnoxious weed seems be to be thriving everywhere in early spring and the lightweight stems are perfect for small fingers to sever.

The field behind our house is a sanctuary for a few kinds of flowers, but as their golden color may suggest, dandelions are obviously the top prize.

(as a side note, there are only four venomous snakes in Iowa, two of which rarely exist in our region and none of which live in fields--yes I'm a nerd and looked it all up.  Even so, I have gone over basic snake safety with the kids.  How you do this without giving them extra fears, I'm not sure, but they haven't been hesitant to go back out there.  I prefer to be direct and matter-of-fact about things, anyway.)


Everett has gotten the idea into his head that flower-picking is for girls (preschool is effective in teaching the kids to classify in all sorts of ways whether I like them or not).  However, he enjoys keeping his masculinity intact by simply helping Ashley add to her yellow bouquet.






Ashley always appreciates the help.



With Everett's help, she quickly collects quite a bouquet.



Sometimes Everett finds a special flower.  Usually the biggest ones are his favorite.


And yes, he presents them to me.  "Look Mommy, I found a flower for you!" Everett announces in a dripping-with-honey voice.



Ashley usually doesn't notice anything else around her when she is on her flower hunt.



She wanders and wanders and enjoys the accomplishment of finding the flowers she's after.




I never get tired of seeing her dash here and there with such exuberance.




At the end of the flower-picking session, the kids proudly present me their bouquet.  
"Mommy, for you!"
I tell them to find a very special place to put the flowers so we can visit them again.
If you look carefully in our yard, you will find little golden patches of wilting flowers peeking out from unusual places.  It is a treat and a delight and something I think every child should experience.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute! These pictures are really beautiful.

Rebekah said...

Those pictures are really pretty.

Unknown said...

love the pictures!

Emily S. said...

Dandelions are always welcome weeds for this purpose! Those are some stunning photos too!

R said...

it's too funny, Kaitlyn was doing the exact same thing in the exact same top! Gotta love sams club

Wayne Johnson said...

Great pictures! You really have an eye for snapping the perfect shot. Maybe the new camera helps.

MSJ

Wayne Johnson said...

So I've been thinking and here's what you need to do: Get some of these pictures made into posters to decorate the kid's rooms or their play room. They are really nice.
MSJ

RebeckerOnline said...

Great pictures! You are quite the photographer and your kids are so cute ...and growing up quickly! Hope all is well.