Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Exercising Child Restraint



Joel and I have been having an ongoing debate discussing the merits versus the drawbacks of using a toddler harness on Everett after Ashley joins us. Really what this means is this: I have been discussing the merits and Joel has been saying "no way, I am not putting my child on a leash", after which I think to myself "okay, that's fine, then you don't have to..." while picturing a trip to a busy mall--by myself--with an active and inquisitive toddler who has a penchant for running off and doesn't like the stroller (or holding hands), and a newborn baby in tow.


After considering that, a ten dollar purchase of a puppy backpack with a long tail-handle seems like the investment of a lifetime. Of my lifetime. Meaning, I will be able to go places with both children and not worry about Everett running off or yelling his head off that he can't be let out from the stroller.


So, here I am going to lay it out with all the pros and cons I've thought up about using such a restraint--okay, leash (sigh).



PROS



  • Everett, being an active child who loves (lives for) roaming and exploring, will be able to do both of those things with me conveniently being able to "keep a handle" on him.

  • I can manage Ashley (and her carseat, diaper bag, stroller, or snugli) while single-wristedly maintaining control of Everett's whereabouts.

  • I no longer have to worry about Everett running off in parking lots, parks, stores, or down flights of stairs he can't manage (nowadays I just carry him, but that will be more difficult with the baby already in my arms).

  • I will be able to let Everett burn plenty of energy when we go places because he will be able to walk around.

  • He will not mind the restraint because all he cares about is getting down and walking around.

  • When we go on our daily walk, Everett can actually get down and walk if he so chooses, and I don't have to worry about him executing any grand "get away from Mom as fast as possible" schemes (which are absolutely ongoing).

  • Everett loves puppies and all things stuffed and cuddly.

  • I have read multiple reviews of the very backpack system pictured, and all parents agree that their children actually ask to be able to wear it and have great amounts of (safe) fun being able to move around.
  • Isn't it so cute?
  • One word: SAFETY (from baby-snatchers, cars, rabid squirrels, you name it).

  • Three words: PEACE OF MIND.


CONS



  • Joel doesn't want me to get it.

  • I may receive dirty looks from other people (probably mostly those who don't have any small children).

  • I shouldn't care about the above risk, but I do.

  • It is one more (albeit small) thing to cart around with us when we go places.

  • It's...not....free.....?

(yeah, that's all I've got.)





This may all seem rather one-sided to you. I realize this, and I accept it, but if any of you can think of any other cons you are more than welcome to let me know what they are so I can weigh them in my decision.



And, I full well realize that in order to get Joel to come around, I may have to send him to the most crowded place I can think of, after nap time (most energy), with both kids, one stroller, and without me. I think that just might do the trick.



By the way, lest you think I feel otherwise, Joel is an absolutely amazing father who cares very deeply about my comfort and ease with the kids (and anything else), and their safety and happiness. And I sure appreciate him for it!


P.S. I have added a poll to the upper right side of this blog because I am interested in seeing what your opinions are about using child harnesses (so this is your license to be gut-wrenchingly honest). Anyone and Everyone is invited to participate (please do). Obviously this is anonymous, so answer however you feel is best. [disclaimer: I am not doing this to "prove a point" or anything; I'm just curious.]

7 comments:

Emily S. said...

You know, my sister had one of these with her little girl. SHE LOVED IT!! Also, she would get so many comments on it, all postive, and TONS of moms asking her where she got it! So what if some people give you funny looks, give them the two kids and let them figure it out!!

Tori said...

So if you had Everett on a leash attached to his waist or something, I might give you a funny look, but this looks like a great solution. Is there a nearby store that sells it so that you could try it out on him, or does it have to be bought online? It would be good to see his reaction.
I'm glad you liked the pictures. Isn't Chelsea looking super cute too? I had a bunch of pregnant friends there; it was kind of funny.
Happy news for me--the baby's head is in place and my cervix is softening a lot--Dr. Gordon is please and so am I! Plus, I finished up my organ class today so no more trying to swivel my huge pregnant body around the bench in order to get the pedals!

Natalie Sue said...

I think it's great... because I don't know how to keep track of an active toddler and a newborn. Tell me what else you are supposed to do when your toddler runs off and you have a newborn in the stroller that can't maneuver into the places where the toddler might have gone. Which kid do you leave? Beats me. I have heard a few people who are totally against them, but I would supposed they either never get out of the house, or don't have kids in that situation. :) I will be investing in one soon... it's not like they are duct taped to a chair or something. They still get to walk around, just not too far.

Elise said...

Ha ha, Natalie, that is so true. Joel and I talked about it again last night and he finally said, "Well, what you need to do is just not go anywhere with the kids until you can go with me, too".

Haha! Unofficial House Arrest! Doesn't that sound fun?

queenie said...

I've got a leash if you want to try it out. No it's not a cute little teddy bear, but my pediatrician suggested putting it on Elijah wrapping it around the double stroller and putting him in the stroller. it worked. PS at 15 months he ran away at hershey park...hence the torture device.

Unknown said...

My sister-in-law used the monkey version of this product and loved it for her son who, at 17 months, was single handedly trying to catch every car, stranger, dog, or bike in the neighborhood.

I say go for it.

Mack, the future billion-dollar author said...

My Spanish teacher, Sr. Bignah, has one for his daughter. He thinks it is great. And funny. We tease him about it a lot. He says his daughter is really hyper-active (what child isn't?)and wants to go further than that leash will allow. once she even figured out how to undo the clasps and got away, so Sr. Bignah attached one of those retractable dog leashes to her belt loop and she got to go wherever she wanted, and when it was time to go, push the button and crank her in.

Oh and another thing, his wife is pregnant with a boy, and he is trying to convince his wife to name him Tytan. Tyght for short.

We are taking votes.