Thursday, April 3, 2008

PLAY!ground

Today Everett and I went to a playground we had never been to before. This particular playground is really nice because it has a lower level for children ages 2-5, and an upper (larger) level for the older kids. This way Everett wasn't up too high and the slides were not tall enough that I was overly concerned about him running around close to them.

Everett loved the new experience because there were a lot of walkways he could run around on (his latest thing is climbing so he can be at an elevated level). He spent most of his time with the kind of "ooooh" expression on his face that you see pictured above. There was so much for him to discover.




Here he is, about to crawl into a tunnel. He spent a lot of time crawling back and forth and thoroughly enjoying the fact that he was elevated somewhere where he could peek out at me and laugh his little head off.




Everett did not appreciate my many attempts to help him (I spent a lot of time up on the platform area with him, but later I decided to keep to the ground. There were so many railings it would have been difficult for him to fall off). He is becoming more and more independent, and gets angry when I try to hold his hand to guide him. Do you see that little step? Everett knows how to go up and down stairs, but when going down he prefers to simply step, probably because that is what he sees Joel and me doing. He gives no regard for the height of the step or the amount of steps and does not concern himself with anything to hold onto for support. As a result, he just confidently steps without even looking at the ground beneath him, bent on continuing to the next task without mobility getting in the way. When he falls he gives no indication he has even noticed and will continue happily toward what he wanted in the first place.

I love seeing his confidence and independence develop. I am glad he feels comfortable enough to take risks (although of course he doesn't see them as such, given his age), but sometimes he makes me very nervous. Because he yells and cries whenever I leave the apartment--even for a few seconds to get the mail, and even if Joel is there with him--It is encouraging to me to see that he is not so attached that he will refuse to leave my side.

**************
I have decided to include a couple of video clips of Everett having fun at the playground, which translates into him doing his latest thing and teasing me by running away and laughing heartily. There are two videos, and they are actually almost the same, but I am including them anyway. They are really only interesting for Everett's Grandparents, Aunts, and Uncles, but the rest of you may enjoy them, too.

(In this first one Everett backs down the step, which is probably the only time he did it while we were there.)

He spent the entire time we were there with this much energy. It was fun for me to see him enjoying himself so much (and of course he came home and took an excellent nap, which was also a plus for me).

3 comments:

queenie said...

I'm sorry we missed you. We went there at 9 and left at 10. Bummer!
Katrina

Amanda said...

I love playgrounds! How fun. So we still need to see a picture of your cute self being pregnant! I feel bad that Everett is so angry. I wonder if it has to do with him not being able to communicate verbally so it's frustrating him. Poor little guy! I wish I could help but since I'm kid-less... I have nothing for ya! :)

Jessica Brown said...

Those are such cute pictures Elise. Ok Elise, I'm ready for some cute pregnancy pictures of you. Tell Joel when he gets home from work today that he has to take some pictures of you! I want to see your cute belly!