Thursday, September 29, 2011

Halloween is Coming Soon. . .

The kids and I were driving through our town today to bring Joel lunch.  There are quite a few residents who go all-out with the Halloween decorations and even already have their yards filled to capacity.  Everett and Ashley love looking at the various halloween characters.

"Hey Mom, I heard of a ghost that can walk through anything.  Walls, chimneys, windows. . ."  Everett remarked.

I laughed.  "Where did you hear about that?"

"I dunno."  He shrugged.  "Maybe on the Pink Panther."

"Do you think those ghosts are real or pretend?"

"Real.  Are they real?"

"Well, they're really just pretend.  The ghosts you see in books and cartoons are just pretend.  They are like witches.  Witches are pretend, too."  (No, I didn't think it was the right time to get into the implications of wiccans or wandering spirits.)

Ashley piped up, "I'm scared of ghosts!" In her dainty little voice.

"You are?"  I said.  "Ghosts are just pretend, sweetheart.  You don't need to be scared of them."  Then I heard a sharp intake of breath behind me.

"Mom!  I just sawed a ghost."  Ashley reported soberly and a little fearfully.

"That wasn't a ghost, that was a person."  I didn't know if I was reassuring or not.

"Oh, (giggles) I knew that!"



And Everett's favorite joke (gruesomely fitted for halloween):

Q:  What do you call a dog with no legs?
A:  It doesn't matter because it can't come anyway!

(Yes, I taught it to him.  I love preschool humor!)

0 comments: