Sunday, July 26, 2009

Big Messy Art

I have been continually impressed with the kinds of regular activities our housing community has. A couple of weeks ago, everyone went blueberry picking and got their first two pounds for free. On Friday night, we had a huge bonfire (started specially by the fire department) and s'mores.


Friday morning was a fun activity called "The Big, Messy Art." Let me tell you, it was quite a hit, even with many of the very youngest kids. The people in charge put out a whole bunch of things for kids to paint on big pieces of butcher paper with--cars, marbles, sponges, balls, jacks, toothbrushes, you name it.

Even Ashley enjoyed it, though not for long. Everett liked trying one thing out for a few seconds, then discarding it for something completely different. I stripped them both down to their undies (well, Everett had on a pair of old shorts). No way was I going to worry about washing paint out of any clothes.

Eventually, though, he discovered that it was much more fun to paint himself. I don't know why he insisted on orange, but it does make quite a statement.

"Orange," Everett says matter-of-factly when I ask him what he did to his stomach.

Ashley followed suit, though I am not sure it was completely on purpose. She certainly didn't enjoy the clean-up.


When the painting was all done, the kids got to run around with a huge parachute. This is a favorite activity, and though Everett doesn't care about following the directions during the games, he sure likes running under it.

0 comments: