Sunday, July 5, 2009

Independence Day

We had some fun this Fourth of July, even though we are far away from family. We began the day with whole wheat pancakes and homemade strawberry jam. . .which I think Everett and I liked better than Joel. Oh well. Can't have french toast all the time.


Then, just in time for a rainstorm, we had a barbecue/potluck with other members of the Village. They had a little bike parade planned, but we decorated the kids and let them walk around the community center instead. The biggest bummer due to rain was that we didn't get to have our bonfire and s'mores, but there wasn't much we could do about it. We'll do it sometime during the next couple of weeks.

The Fire Department came with a fire truck and a department golf cart. The best part was that they gave all the kids fire hats, which Everett, of course, loved.


We woke Everett up at about 10:30pm to go do fireworks. Even though he didn't know what they were, he jumped right out of bed and ran outside. Our friends had some that shot up in the air, which were Everett's favorite. We had a few little ones that were fun, but Everett kept asking why they didn't go up in the sky.




We were rewarded with lots of excitement and lots of good facial expressions from Everett. Fireworks are the most fun with kids who are thrilled by them.




But my favorite, by far, was watching his reaction to the "sky" fireworks, as Everett labels them.


Classic.





I was pretty nervous to let him try a sparkler, since they are such a burn hazard, but I am pleased to say that he handled them very delicately.

He also enjoyed the little poppers (snaps? What do you call them), but mostly liked to just step on them. After a few of those he was ready to go inside, and best of all, he went to bed without a fuss. Thank heavens!


What a fun day! I admit, on this day I do not think enough about the freedoms we have been given by our ancestors, many who paid for it with their lives. Whether we're happy with the economy, the government, or what Ashton Kutcher is twittering about, we live in a nation that believes in freedom, a nation that is filled with moral people, and a nation where we don't all feel the effects of war in our day-to-day lives.

And that, I think, is a pretty good thing.

0 comments: