Sunday, July 19, 2009

Breakfasting--More Than You Ever Wanted To Know

When I was growing up, my family always had breakfast together in the mornings. Most of the time my Mom would wake up earlier than the rest of us--regularly even earlier in order to get some exercise in first--and prepare us a nice meal. French toast, eggs, german pancakes, toast out of homemade bread, fruit, yogurt and granola, oatmeal. . .we've had it all. Yes, my Mom is a Supermom.


No, I do not do this myself. As creatures of habit, we still like to have breakfast our own particular way.


Everett is on a major toast kick. He has to have one half covered in peanut butter, and the other covered in jam or honey. Then we have to fold it exactly in half (or he obstinately returns it) and put it in a specific kind of bowl.


Joel likes cereal and will help himself to a large bowl of it every morning while looking over a textbook. Honeycomb, Cheerios, Rasin Bran, Corn Chex, Frosted Mini-Wheats, he likes it all. As long as you don't give him Grape Nuts, he is happy.


I am not very good about having breakfast--usually I just get too busy. When I do, though, I like to have fruit and yogurt or maybe an egg on toast.


Ashley loves oatmeal. I think she would eat an entire tray full if I let her, and still want more. All I have to do is put a little honey and cinnamon in it and she is good to go.

So far, she hasn't been too interested in using a spoon. Though I have never really liked oatmeal, I am glad she likes it so much. It is cheap and good for her, and it keeps her full for a long time.

What do you do for breakfast? What would you do if you had time/resources to do anything?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

elise, i can't believe how big your kids are getting.. so dang cute!!! also, i am like you, i tend to "forget" about breakfast cause i get too busy doing other things.. luckily mack doesn't est real food yet so i dont' have to be a super mom yet:) but i do believe that you are a super mom whether you are making a big meal or not.. you are still getting them all breakfast, and something they like.. that's a super mom!

Pour Les Enfants said...

I am a cereal eater. Never have been a big breakfast person, but when I do, cereal. And for the most part, I don't put milk in my cereal (some I do) . On the weekend (and when I have time) I love to cook a real breakfast- french toast, waffles, pancakes (apple-oatmeal pancakes), granola (homemade of course), omelets, eggs with bacon, etc- especially if I am sharing with someone. But typically I just eat cereal. It would of course be cheaper to make french toast in Switzerland. One box of cereal is $7. Got to love the swiss exchange rate.

Jessica Brown said...

Ashley is such a cutie!

I gotta love those mom's that get up and fix a warm meal, but, like you I am not one of those super mom's. I cook one meal a day, and thats dinner. :) We go through cereal really quickly. Its funny, because Jaron refuses to do grape nuts too.

Oatmeal is great. We do that often.

I love your posts!