Sometimes when I'm in the mood for an easy dinner that everyone will eat, I make creamy tomato soup and bean and cheese quesadillas (I like corn tortillas the best because it almost tastes like nachos). It's cheap, it's fast, and usually I have the ingredients.
I used to think I didn't like tomato soup, until I tasted some that didn't come from a can. It was wonderful! I decided to start making it regularly, and I've been really happy with the results. Joel, however, doesn't always agree. Whenever I'm making tomato soup, he comes over to the pot and says forlornly, "I'm guessing this isn't Campbell's. . ." to which I say "too bad!" and get back to stirring.
I have seen a lot of recipes for tomato soup, but for the sake of being uncomplicated, this is how I do it:
(Warning: this recipe is completely made-up. The amounts are non-specific and technique is, well, it probably couldn't be considered technique at all. Use at your own peril.)
(Also, this looks a lot more complicated than it really is. It really only takes 15-20 minutes, but you can have it cook longer for the flavors to meld--it would work well in a crock pot, I think, but don't quote me on that. Lizbeth, are you reading this? What do you think?)
(FYI, if you make this recipe as I've written it and it causes your taste buds to revolt, your kids to hate you, and your dog to run away, you have no legal right to sue me.)
(That is all.)
Elise's Creamy Tomato Soup (heart healthy!)
You will need:
tomato juice
onion (red, white, yellow, doesn't matter)
garlic
1 can diced tomatoes
salt & pepper
flour
butter
milk
cottage cheese
basil (fresh is best, but not always in the budget)
thyme
Mrs. Dash seasoning--or similar, if you want to add a little something extra. Usually I leave it out.
1/2 tsp baking soda to cut the acidity (this makes the soup temporarily puff up, so use a much larger pot than you need and only fill it 1/2 way!)
This is my process:
Heat up 1-2 T butter in a pot. When it's melted, throw in a little diced onion and minced garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes. Then mix in some flour to make a roux. Once that is going, slowly whisk in some tomato juice. Bring it to a simmer. Add canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, salt and pepper. Let it simmer for a few minutes. Then add maybe 1/3-1/2 cup cottage cheese, or more if you want. (FYI, the cheese curds completely melt into the soup. If members of your family don't like cottage cheese, they won't even know it's in here. It just makes the soup a little creamier.)
After the cheese has melted into the soup (you'll be stirring it with a whisk), get out a glass measuring cup and pour some milk into it. Then take a little of the hot soup and whisk it into the milk (this tempers the milk so you can add it to the soup). Take the baking soda and whisk it into the soup. It will make the soup fluff up--don't worry, it will go back to normal in a few more minutes. Slowly whisk the milk mixture into the soup before the baking soda bubbles disappear. Cook for a few more minutes and it is ready to go!
1 comments:
Mmmmm. That sounds good. I think I'll have to try it. We use tomato soup to dip our toasted cheese sandwiches in and I put it in my spaghetti sauce, but Jon doesn't like it plain, so I might have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing. As for the comment on our blog.... We wouldn't expect anything less from Joel. Jon is a granola at heart and just hides it behind his corporate suit and tie job. If I, or the job would let him, he would have a full blown beard. The wrap actually reminds him more of his mission than anything. I just feel bad it's purple. I need to make a new one. :) P.S. I loved your FHE idea. Ours are lame. Can't wait to use this one on Annie. William is getting so big. I can't believe it!
Post a Comment