Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Book Recommendation


I just finished reading one of the most fascinating autobiographies I've ever read, so I thought I'd pass on a recommendation to all of you.
This book was written by a Jew who went underground and survived the holocaust by changing her identity and marrying a German Nazi (he knew who she really was and still wanted to marry her). Just in case a book that is an autobiography sounds dry or like it will be a slow read, know that it most definitely isn't. This reads like a gripping novel and it only took me a couple of days to finish it.
It was interesting to read a first-hand account of what the German people really understood about the holocaust (nothing), and how even the Jews in hiding thought rumors of mass-murders were simply propoganda. She is a powerful, vivid writer and has a way of saying the most with the fewest amount of words.
If you have a few hours this week, I would recommend checking this memoir out from the library. It is fascinating, gripping, and one of the best books I have read in a long time.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

It sounds like a great book, especially if you say it is. You have great taste in books. I just wish I had more time. I'll have to put it on my "to read" list I have of all the books I want to read after I graduate!

Amanda said...

Hey! We get our stats from a program called Google Analytics. Just search for it in google and then log in with your google account. I do think you have to register your blog and put a link in your HTML but it's not that hard. If you get confused call me and I'll have Cody help ya! But you're one smart cookie so I'm sure you'll do fine! It is a lot of fun to see the statisitcs!