Everett has been fascinated with the gum in my purse for a long time, which is why I usually try to both keep my purse out of his reach and keep the zippers firmly closed. Today, however, he found my opened purse and pulled out the gum, immediately demanding a taste (sometimes these kids figure things out you'd rather they didn't, like the fact that gum is actually edible).
Instead of taking it away from his grubby little grasp, I decided I would take a moment to be clever--oh so very, very clever.
Curious? There is one thing you need to know about this particular gum before I continue: this has got to be the most powerful gum I have ever tasted in my entire life. I don't even really like it because it is so strong, but I can't justify throwing it out because it's, well, gum, and I love gum.
This is where the cleverness comes in. You see, I realized that as soon as Everett got a taste of a flavor akin to an unwanted mint tsunami, he would spit it out and lose all interest in the gum, and I would never, ever, ever again witness a gum-wanting-tantrum.
So, I popped out a piece, bit it in half and gave him a smidgen for his mouth. He chewed it and I waited for the shocked look I knew would emerge on his little face.
......And waited.
It never came. He chewed for a little while, swallowed, and then began an even bigger tantrum because it was gone and he knew I had the rest in my mouth.
Sigh. Okay, so I wasn't actually all that clever. Maybe next time I'll have to dunk it in Tabasco sauce first.
Pucker Up
4 days ago
3 comments:
Haha, funny boy. He always did like strong-tasting things. Pickles, limes...maybe he's a non-taster.
Wow . . . maybe you could cash in on this and teach him how to blow bubbles with gum. that's a good party trick!
Ha ha ha... oh that is hilarious! Don't they just always want the things that they can't have!
Post a Comment