Monday, October 20, 2008

75 dollars' worth of groceries in 2008


(included is a package of diapers, our main money-sucker. I am glad I took this picture because afterward I realized I left another bag in the car)

We usually try to operate on a very strict grocery budget. This is somewhat tough given that in the category "groceries" we include all household items, such as diapers, cleaners, and personal hygiene items.

I think I am going to start looking into using vinegar and baking soda for cleaning substitutions. For one thing, they are "green," so I don't have to worry about a lot of chemicals, but for another, vinegar is very cheap. Once it dries it isn't supposed to smell anymore. I haven't tried it yet, but here is an interesting article. Did you know you can use vinegar to keep colors from running in the wash? And that if you boil a bowl of vinegar in the microwave it will remove smells and soften stains and food particles?

The more I read about vinegar, the more I am curious about trying it for more things. Apparently it makes a good shampoo, but I don't know if I am curious enough to try that yet. Maybe I will if my kids ever come home with lice.

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

My mother in law uses vinegar to wash her hard wood floors. It still smells after it has dried, but only for like a day.

Unknown said...

That pineapple looks good! (Great way to mark a moment in time--glad you remembered the other bag!)

Tori said...

Only $75,even with all that produce! Good job. I am impressed that all of your food looks so healthy. Ours usually is pretty good, but if Adam comes shopping with me I find soda and doritos and tasty cakes in the cart... :]