Everett and I went grocery shopping at a different store today. Usually we pick between Safeway, Giant, Shoppers, and Trader Joe's based on what the dinner menu consists of and what items are on sale at each store.
A few months ago Joel and I (and the kids) happened upon a grocery store I had never seen or heard of before. It is called Fresh World and it lauds itself as an intenational market. Today I decided to go check it out.
I was not disappointed. Bananas were 39 cents a pound (bananas are cheap anyway, but it just shows the price difference with just about everything). They had all sorts of produce, more than half of which I had never seen before. They had aisles and aisles of foods that were for all sorts of international cuisines. I walked around and often didn't know what I was looking at because everything was in another language.
They also have an "American" section with familiar items and brands, all for pretty good prices. However, some of the best deals to be found are in the international items. For instance, I found a huge bottle of (mexican?) vanilla for about three dollars. By "huge", I mean the size you get at costco for 11 dollars--if that is still the price. The vanilla in the American section ranged from 5-8 dollars for tiny bottles.
The best part for Everett was walking past the fish tanks where he was transfixed by live eels, crabs, lobsters, and all sorts of fish. Once I showed those to him I had a hard time getting him to be satisfied looking at the shelved items.
It was a fun shopping trip and it makes me want to try out a whole bunch of authentic international recipes. If anyone has a good one, let me know.
If you want more information about this grocery store, look here. We'll definitely be repeat customers.
Pucker Up
4 days ago

1 comments:
You know sometimes I look at your blog and really miss you! I wish we lived closer to each other. And I definitely wish I had a grocery store like that around here. Live eels! That's awesome! And I love Mexican vanilla.
Post a Comment