We went to Colonial Williamsburg over the weekend, which is the reason I haven't posted in a while. I know you've all been on the edge of your seats anticipating my next post. . .so aren't you glad I'm finally getting around to it?
I didn't end up taking very many pictures, which is kind of a shame, but pictures of old houses aren't that interesting anyway.
Everett enjoyed himself by running around everywhere, meaning everywhere he wanted to go. If I wanted him to go somewhere he would not have it unless I was able to convince him it was his idea. He really did pretty well considering that some days he didn't really have a nap, but it did make him conditioned to have meltdowns very easily. Poor guy.
My brother Mack got accosted by some Grecian beauties on the beaches of Yorktown. Apparently they were doing a school project and were interviewing people about how they felt about the new democracy in Greece. It seemed they were only interested in interviewing Mack. I'm sure this had nothing to do with the fact that he is a good-looking boy around their age.
Here we are with the Founding Fathers in Yorktown. Everett was getting his diaper changed by Grandma, so he is not pictured. Joel had to leave after the first day to go back to work and the kids and I stayed so we could see the sights.
This is a picture my sister Maddy took of the Colonial Parkway. It was beautiful with all of the fall colors, but this picture doesn't do it justice. This seems to be a particularly green stretch but you can see a little red and yellow.
Next, we went to Jamestown. This was really fun; it was possibly my favorite thing.
Pictured is a boat that brought fifty-something people over from England. I'm sure it was a replica and not the actual boat, but it was still fun to see.
I knew the sleeping quarters were small, but it was amazing to see them in person. My sister Maddy is about my height and her feet reached the wall. These were the nice accommodations, too. The majority of the people were stuck down in the hold.
I wanted to get a picture of this because it is THE cooking accommodations to feed all fifty-something people. I can't even imagine. It makes me really glad for the size of my kitchen I use to feed three!
The nice thing about Jamestown is that it has settlements re-created. This is in the fort, inside a supply house. For some reason this was Everett's favorite house, so it was difficult to get him to move on.
This is inside an Indian house, in a little village that was re-created for us. I can't remember what this kind of house was called but it was fun to be able to walk around in them. The best part about these is that they have people dressed up in the appropriate clothing who are there to pose as natives and answer questions. Apparently the inside of these houses were quite smoky due to the cooking and heating fire, but this was the goal because this is how they cured their food. The smoke would stay up near the rafters so it wasn't as much of a problem for the people living there.
Well, anyway, this was a really fun trip and so I wanted to recommend it to those of you who are in the area but haven't been. There is a lot to see and do. In williamsburg we went to a witch trial and saw a comical entertainment show. There are also people there posing as famous figures, such as Thomas Jefferson, who gave a great speech. You can also see the way shops and businesses ran, such as furniture makers, apothecaries, wig makers, etc.
Mr. Robot
17 hours ago
2 comments:
Actually Elise, if I remember correctly, the kitchen was used to feed 72 people.
What a cool trip. I went there back in Middle School but I think I'd appreciate it more now that I'm older. I'm so glad your family is there and you get to spend time with them doing fun things :)
Post a Comment